1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Van De Graaf generator

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a sentence in my textbook that reads:

Because the "breakdown" electric field in air is about 3 X 106 V/m, a sphere 1.00m in radius can be raised to a maximum potential of 3 X 106 V

And now the problem states: The metallic sphere on top of a large van de Graaf generator has a radius of 2.0 m. Suppose that the sphere carries a charge of 3x10-5 C

2. Relevant equations
    V = Q/4∏rε0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Does that mean to find the Volt, I have to simply multiply that 3 X 106 V by 2, to give me 6 X 106 V?

Or do I have to use the above equation to find the volt inside the generator?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why not employ your Relevant Equation?

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3
    I guess it's the line from the text that confused me as to whether that equation was even necessary or not

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The line in the text is telling you what limits the maximum potential on a surface (before breakdown and arcing occur to drain off the charge). If your calculated potential approaches this value, stand well back from the apparatus!!!:eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook