Question about what I can do with tablets

• Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
In summary: Android tablets run a modified version of Java which doesn't support java swing. So in addition to recompiling you also have to change the GUI design as well to port it. This is true of other programs as well.iPads have similar issues on top of apple restrictions on what apps can and can’t do.Bottom line get a laptop if that’s what you need maybe one that can act as both laptop and tablet. Do your research though to make absolutely sure the apps you run on your laptop run on the newer hybrid.Thanks for the replies.
yungman
Hi
I want to get a tablet, preferably not I-Pad. I want to find out whether I can install programs I use on the PC. Like I want to put some of my schematic capture, pcb layout, simulation programs like LTSpice, Photoshop 6, Microsoft Office etc.

In another word, I want to make it a work computer like a laptop.

Can I do it with the Android tablet? What is the requirement? Of cause, I would need to be able to hook up to a mouse and a keyboard. It's not going to be a small tablet with only touch screen.

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The Android tablet operating system is Unix based, so you should be able to install programs (like LT Spice) that have Unix installers. Whether it will have enough memory and be fast enough is another question.

Tablets aren’t laptops. You will be disappointed. They are great for small tasks like browsing email writing stories cool artwork music composition. Not so good at circuit design or programming or computationally intensive tasks.

Android tablets run a modified version of Java which doesn’t support java swing. So in addition to recompiling you also have to change the GUI design as well to port it. This is true of other programs as well.

iPads have similar issues on top of apple restrictions on what apps can and can’t do.

Bottom line get a laptop if that’s what you need maybe one that can act as both laptop and tablet. Do your research though to make absolutely sure the apps you run on your laptop run on the newer hybrid.

Likes CWatters and FactChecker
yungman said:
Hi
I want to get a tablet, preferably not I-Pad. I want to find out whether I can install programs I use on the PC. Like I want to put some of my schematic capture, pcb layout, simulation programs like LTSpice, Photoshop 6, Microsoft Office etc.

In another word, I want to make it a work computer like a laptop.

Can I do it with the Android tablet? What is the requirement? Of cause, I would need to be able to hook up to a mouse and a keyboard. It's not going to be a small tablet with only touch screen.

jedishrfu said:
Tablets aren’t laptops. You will be disappointed. They are great for small tasks like browsing email writing stories cool artwork music composition. Not so good at circuit design or programming or computationally intensive tasks...

Bottom line get a laptop if that’s what you need maybe one that can act as both laptop and tablet. Do your research though to make absolutely sure the apps you run on your laptop run on the newer hybrid.
Yes, tablets aren't laptops. But the MS Surface bridges this gap. I have one, and it's great. I previously had a Samsung/Android tablet that I was pretty disappointed with.

jedishrfu said:
Tablets aren’t laptops. You will be disappointed. They are great for small tasks like browsing email writing stories cool artwork music composition. Not so good at circuit design or programming or computationally intensive tasks.
Would a tablet be any use running something like Photoshop, or does it lack the horsepower?

DaveC426913 said:
does it lack the horsepower?
As a reference you can pick the weakest celeron-like thing on the PC market - and cut its performance half. Twice.

Likes FactChecker
Thanks for the replies.

I powered up my Android tablet, it's really like my Android phone. I google already, seems like if I want to do what I described, I have to get the MS tablet with actual Windows 10 in it. But then, I might as well carry my 13" laptop around, why go to a tablet?

My question,

1) can I create folders to store things on the Android tablet?
2) Does Android has file arrangement like "My Computer" in Windows that you expand into all different folders like My Documents, Program Files etc., that you can organize folders to store different things?
3) So Android tablets are mainly for playing games, simple things like doing forums, facebook, taking pictures type of casual things only. Want to do something more, go back to notebooks?

Last edited:
Android is a stripped down Linux. It supports a file structure and there are apps that can show you what's there across the whole filesystem. Apps are assigned their own directory for their data if needed.

The iPad is similar, its a stripped down and locked down MacOS where Apple doesn't allow apps to access other apps files unless permission is given. As far as I've seen only some directories are shown in the Apple FIles app. I like Apple's approach though as its important to protect your stuff from malicious apps as it takes only one malapp to ruin your day.

Also be aware that both variations Android and iPad run on ARM chips whereas laptops run on more powerful CPUS. This means the app vendor must make a version of your favorite program for that cpu architecture. You can't simply copy the files to the device and expect it to work.

Likes FactChecker
I have been disappointed even doing casual stuff on tablets. I am trying to live a good life because I know that if I end up in Hell, I would be running Photoshop on a tablet.

Likes sysprog, ChemAir, Rive and 4 others
But at least they’d be hot photos, right? Unless that place is endothermic but I digress.

Likes FactChecker
Think of your IOS or Android tablet as a scaled up version of your phone, rather than a scaled down version of your PC.

Likes russ_watters, rbelli1, FactChecker and 1 other person
This is good for me to know. I have a laptop that suits all my needs, and haven't seen a compelling reason to get a tablet. Now I'm twice as sure.

Likes russ_watters
Likes FactChecker
yungman said:
My goal is just want to avoid being obsoleted, just trying to learn, but so far, it doesn't seems like I missed too much.
I don't think that you missed much. But it is smart to keep tabs. Things can change very fast.

Likes yungman
DaveC426913 said:
Would a tablet be any use running something like Photoshop, or does it lack the horsepower?
There is a Photoshop mobile app, but it is limited in terms of functionality compared to the desktop app. Whether it has enough depends on how serous the user's requirements are.

yungman said:
I powered up my Android tablet, it's really like my Android phone. I google already, seems like if I want to do what I described, I have to get the MS tablet with actual Windows 10 in it. But then, I might as well carry my 13" laptop around, why go to a tablet?
Because it weighs a quarter of what your laptop weighs and has a removable keyboard.
yungman said:
My goal is just want to avoid being obsoleted, just trying to learn, but so far, it doesn't seems like I missed too much.
Obsolescence isn't something you need to worry about anymore. Small devices (smaller than a laptop) are still improving, but laptops and desktops haven't changed much in the past 10 years and that rate of advancement will only continue to slow.
jedishrfu said:
I'm not an Apple guy, but that's an impressive review of what appears to be a serious competitor to the Surface. What I'm not clear on though is if can run the same apps as an Apple desktop or not. That was a key selling point for me on the Surface.

Yeah. It is light and still better than your phone. You can still manage your basic needs yet you have an excuse why can't you do work. That's a tablet.

Likes yungman

1. Can tablets replace laptops or desktop computers?

It depends on your needs and usage. Tablets are more suitable for basic tasks like browsing the internet, checking emails, and using social media. Laptops and desktops have more processing power and storage, making them better for tasks like video editing or gaming.

2. Can I use a tablet for work?

Yes, you can use a tablet for work, especially if your job involves mostly digital tasks like writing, designing, or presenting. However, some specialized software may only be available on laptops or desktops.

3. Do I need an internet connection to use a tablet?

Most tablets require an internet connection to function fully, as many apps and features rely on internet connectivity. However, some tablets have a "Wi-Fi only" option, where you can use them without a cellular data plan.

4. Can I make phone calls on a tablet?

Some tablets have the capability to make phone calls, but it depends on the model and its features. Most tablets do not have this function, and if they do, you will need a SIM card and a data plan.

5. How long do tablets typically last?

The lifespan of a tablet depends on how well it is maintained and how often it is used. On average, tablets can last 3-4 years before needing a replacement. However, this can vary depending on the brand, model, and usage habits.