Question about why the signs are wrong in this trig problem

• Thread starter land_of_ice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: trying to solve for a cosine in quadrant 3 and you don't know if the picture has been used before, the best way to determine is to use the "opposite side over hypotenuse" formula.
land_of_ice

Homework Statement

The problem is: cosθ=-4/5 θ in quadrant 3
and they ask that you find the exact value of the remaining trig functions,

Homework Equations

I do not know all of the relevant things to do, which is why I have a question, about what they are basically, as far as quadrant is concerned, the sign of the answer and whether or not it matters that a picture is drawn and used or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the exact opposite signs to my answer, as the book got, but the values were correct, also I don't know why but after doing about 15 of these problems, when I drew the picture (first step), the θ seemed to be in the same area of the unit circle every time , in quadrant 1, so how can you tell where θ is supposed to be? Also, after I drew the picture, I never use it in the equation, I just plug in values for either r, x , or y (whichever are given in the original problem) into the Pythagorean theorem. and then solve for the other variable, and then set up the r/x , r/y etc for the remaining trig functions.
(One other thing, about θ always being in quadrant one, the way I perceived it, is that in a related problem such as sinθ = -3/5 and cosθ=4/5 , it doesn't tell you what quadrant to put θ in so how do you determine this? )

Physics news on Phys.org
hi land_of_ice! :smile:
land_of_ice said:

Also, after I drew the picture, I never use it in the equation, I just plug in values for either r, x , or y (whichever are given in the original problem) into the Pythagorean theorem. and then solve for the other variable, and then set up the r/x , r/y etc for the remaining trig functions.

if you never used the picture, then of course you got it wrong! :rolleyes:

there's always two answers for any cos or sin equation …

if cosθ is positive, then θ can be in quadrants 1 or 4; if cosθ is negative, then θ can be in quadrants 2 or 3 …

there is no way of knowing unless you are told in the question!

tiny-tim said:
hi land_of_ice! :smile:

if you never used the picture, then of course you got it wrong! :rolleyes:

there's always two answers for any cos or sin equation …

if cosθ is positive, then θ can be in quadrants 1 or 4; if cosθ is negative, then θ can be in quadrants 2 or 3 …

there is no way of knowing unless you are told in the question!

Hey Tim, thanks for that , it was very helpful :)

land_of_ice said:

Homework Statement

and they ask that you find the exact value of the remaining trig functions,
Since you are told that this is in the third quadrant, One way to do this, since cosine is "near side over hypotenuse", is to draw a line from the origin of a coordinate system to (-4, 0), then a line down to (-4, -3) (you know the "opposite side" has length 3 by the Pythagorean theorem). Now sine is "opposite side over hyptenuse" or -3/5 (the hypotenuse in such a picture is always positive), tangent is "opposite side over near side" or -3/-4= 3/4, etc.

Homework Equations

I do not know all of the relevant things to do, which is why I have a question, about what they are basically, as far as quadrant is concerned, the sign of the answer and whether or not it matters that a picture is drawn and used or not.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the exact opposite signs to my answer, as the book got, but the values were correct, also I don't know why but after doing about 15 of these problems, when I drew the picture (first step), the θ seemed to be in the same area of the unit circle every time , in quadrant 1, so how can you tell where θ is supposed to be? Also, after I drew the picture, I never use it in the equation, I just plug in values for either r, x , or y (whichever are given in the original problem) into the Pythagorean theorem. and then solve for the other variable, and then set up the r/x , r/y etc for the remaining trig functions.
(One other thing, about θ always being in quadrant one, the way I perceived it, is that in a related problem such as sinθ = -3/5 and cosθ=4/5 , it doesn't tell you what quadrant to put θ in so how do you determine this? )
If you are told that sin θ= -3/5 and cosθ= 4/5, then the "near side" is positive 4 so draw a line from the origin to (4, 0). The "opposite side" is negative 3 so draw a line from (4, 0) to (4, -3). That will be in the fourth quadrant. tangent and cotangent will be negative (specifically, -3/4 and -4/3), secant positive (5/4), and cosecant negative (-5/3).

What is a trig problem?

A trig problem is a mathematical problem involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These problems often involve finding missing sides or angles in a triangle.

Why might the signs be wrong in a trig problem?

There are a few possible reasons why the signs may be wrong in a trig problem. It could be due to a mistake in calculations, using the wrong formula, or not accounting for the correct quadrant when finding angles.

How do you check if the signs are correct in a trig problem?

To check if the signs are correct in a trig problem, you can double-check your calculations, make sure you are using the correct formula for the given problem, and ensure that you are considering the correct quadrant when finding angles.

What are some common mistakes that lead to incorrect signs in a trig problem?

Some common mistakes that can lead to incorrect signs in a trig problem include mixing up positive and negative values, using the wrong formula, and not paying attention to the quadrant when finding angles.

How can I avoid making mistakes with signs in trig problems?

To avoid making mistakes with signs in trig problems, it is important to carefully check your work, use the correct formula for the given problem, and pay close attention to the quadrant when finding angles. It can also be helpful to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.