If cosθ = -5/13 and 0 <= θ <= 2π, what are possible values of θ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ace.
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Ace.
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If cosθ = -5/13 and 0 <= θ <= 2π, what are possible values of θ?

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


θ is in quadrant 2 or 3

in quadrant 2:
related acute = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex](5/13)
= 1.18
θ = π - 1.18
= 1.96 radians

in quadrant 3:
related acute angle = 1.18
θ = π + 1.18
= 4.32 radians

Those are the two values I got for θ. But my book says the answer is 5.14. Can you tell me where I am going wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where didn't you go wrong?

Nah, I'm just kidding :biggrin: The book's answer is wrong, you're right. They accidentally included the angle in the 4th quadrant rather than the 3rd as you've correctly done.