1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry - Associated Acute Angles

1. Dec 19, 2013 #1
    Hello,

i'm doing some revision and working through the textbook my course follows and have a small problem.

The question is an incomplete table of values for sinθ, cosθ, tanθ, [itex]\alpha[/itex] and θ. I have to work out the blanks using what is given.

I thought I knew the correct method of doing this, and I got all the answers correct except for the last two lines where I got the value correct, but did not see why I needed to include a ± sign.

I'll show what I did for one of the lines, and hopefully someone can see why i'm not realising the values can be negative or positive.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sinθ =
    cosθ =
    tanθ =
    [itex]\alpha[/itex] = 45°
    θ =

3. The attempt at a solution

I worked out sin, cos and tan for this value of alpha and they were all positive, so I thought I could assume, based on the CAST diagram, that the associated acute angle [itex]\alpha[/itex], must lie in the 1st quadrant. Therefore θ = 45°

However, my textbook says all the trig values I obtained can be ± and θ = 45° or 135°

What am I missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How are α and θ related?
    Are you given a picture of the triangle?
    You haven't provided enough information for us to be able to help you.

4. Dec 19, 2013 #3
    Sorry, I didn't stop to think whether my explanation involving α would make sense.

I'll do my best to explain it, but it's easier with a set of axes in front of you.

Take o to be the origin, and draw a line op at say 45° to the x axis. Directly below p, on the x axis, we label the point q to construct a right angled triangle. The anticlockwise direction is taken as +ve. We can say that α is the associated acute angle for θ here because it lies in the 'first quadrant'. They are numbered from 1-4 anticlockwise.

Now suppose you rotate the line op to a position of 135°, p lies in the 'second' quadrant and θ = 135°, but the associated acute angle α is 45° (the triangle opq)

I hope that makes enough sense to see what my question is getting at.

5. Dec 19, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i don't get it :confused:

if OP is 120°, what is α?​

6. Dec 19, 2013 #5
    If the line op is rotated 120° anticlockwise, then θ is 120° and α is the acute angle made with the x axis, so it's 60°.

EDIT:

This is in relation to the CAST diagram, that tells us which trig ratios are positive in which quadrant.

CAST.png

7. Dec 19, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see.

And what about 240° and 300° … are they 60° or -60° ?

8. Dec 19, 2013 #7
    In the first quadrant α = θ - 360°
    second quadrant α = 180° - θ
    Third quadrant α = θ - 180°
    Fourth quadrant α = 360° - θ

So, if θ = 240°, the line op lies in the third quadrant and α = 60°.

If θ = 300°, the line op lies in the fourth quadrant and α = 60°

I'm pretty sure it's setup so that α is always positive.

9. Dec 19, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, then if θ = 45° or 135°, then both cosθ and tanθ can be ± (though sinθ can only be +)

however, on your explanation of α, i don't see why θ can't be 225° or 315° :confused:

10. Dec 19, 2013 #9
    I'm sorry, this whole question is due to me mis-reading the answer at the back of the book.

It was written as θ = ±45° or ±135° and I didn't see the signs in front of the values it gave for θ. I have it all making sense now.

Thanks for your patience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted