Question concerning 2nd order homogeneous linear diff eqs

In summary, the textbook shows that y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right) without the imaginary number i in the equation. At first I just assumed that the i has been subsumed into the constant C_2, but then what is happening when we solve an initial value problem of this form, and find that C_2 is actually a real number? Where has the i gone?
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Regarding the case where the auxillary (characteristic) equation has complex roots, we solve the quadratic in the usual way using [itex]i[/itex] to get the general solution

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

And the textbook shows

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

without the imaginary number [itex]i[/itex] in the equation.

At first I just assumed that the [itex]i[/itex] has been subsumed into the constant [itex]C_2[/itex], but then what is happening when we solve an initial value problem of this form, and find that [itex]C_2[/itex] is actually a real number? Where has the [itex]i[/itex] gone?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the initial conditions were such that ##C_2## was real in the first solution, then if we had used the 2nd solution, the initial condition would imply that ##C_2'## was imaginary. The important fact is that sin and cos are linearly independent solutions, so we can use any linear combination of them.

kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

Regarding the case where the auxillary (characteristic) equation has complex roots, we solve the quadratic in the usual way using [itex]i[/itex] to get the general solution

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

And the textbook shows

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

At first I just assumed that the [itex]i[/itex] has been subsumed into the constant [itex]C_2[/itex], but then what is happening when we solve an initial value problem of this form, and find that [itex]C_2[/itex] is actually a real number? Where has the [itex]i[/itex] gone?
This link provides as clear an explanation as any:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ComplexRoots.aspx

Likes kostoglotov
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

And the textbook shows

From
we can write
[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(A_1 \cos{\beta x} + A_2 \sin{\beta x}\right).[/tex]
where ##A_1 = C_1## and ##A_2 = i C_2##. It is just notation, nothing more.

If ##y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right) ## and ##y(0), y'(0)## are given (for example), then we need
[tex] C_1 = y(0) \\
\alpha C_1 + \beta i C_2 = y'(0)[/tex]
so
[tex] C_1 = y(0), \; C_2 = \frac{i}{\beta} \left( \alpha y(0) - y'(0) \right) [/tex]
If course, ##iC_2 = (y'(0) - \alpha y(0))/\beta## is real if ##y(0), y'(0)## are real.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

A 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation is an equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative, all of which are multiplied by constants. The equation is considered homogeneous because there are no terms that are not multiplied by the function or its derivatives. Linear refers to the fact that the equation is a linear combination of the function and its derivatives.

2. How do you solve a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both methods involve finding the general solution by solving the characteristic equation and then using initial conditions to find the specific solution.

3. What is the characteristic equation in a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

The characteristic equation in a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation is a polynomial equation that is formed by setting the coefficients of the function and its derivatives equal to zero. Solving this equation will give you the roots, which are used to find the general solution.

4. How do initial conditions affect the solution to a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation?

Initial conditions, also known as boundary conditions, are used to find the specific solution to a 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equation. They are given as values for the function and its derivatives at a specific point or points. These values are plugged into the general solution to find the particular solution that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of 2nd order homogeneous linear differential equations?

2nd order homogeneous linear differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in physics to describe the motion of a spring-mass system or in electrical engineering to model the behavior of an RLC circuit. They are also used in heat transfer and in population dynamics, among other applications.