1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question concerning 2nd order homogeneous linear diff eqs

1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Regarding the case where the auxillary (characteristic) equation has complex roots, we solve the quadratic in the usual way using [itex]i[/itex] to get the general solution

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

And the textbook shows

[tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]

without the imaginary number [itex]i[/itex] in the equation.

At first I just assumed that the [itex]i[/itex] has been subsumed into the constant [itex]C_2[/itex], but then what is happening when we solve an initial value problem of this form, and find that [itex]C_2[/itex] is actually a real number? Where has the [itex]i[/itex] gone?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the initial conditions were such that ##C_2## was real in the first solution, then if we had used the 2nd solution, the initial condition would imply that ##C_2'## was imaginary. The important fact is that sin and cos are linearly independent solutions, so we can use any linear combination of them.

4. Aug 4, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This link provides as clear an explanation as any:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/ComplexRoots.aspx

5. Aug 5, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From
    [tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right)[/tex]
    we can write
    [tex]y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(A_1 \cos{\beta x} + A_2 \sin{\beta x}\right).[/tex]
    where ##A_1 = C_1## and ##A_2 = i C_2##. It is just notation, nothing more.

If ##y(x) = e^{\alpha x}\left(C_1 \cos{\beta x} + i C_2 \sin{\beta x}\right) ## and ##y(0), y'(0)## are given (for example), then we need
    [tex] C_1 = y(0) \\
    \alpha C_1 + \beta i C_2 = y'(0)[/tex]
    so
    [tex] C_1 = y(0), \; C_2 = \frac{i}{\beta} \left( \alpha y(0) - y'(0) \right) [/tex]
    If course, ##iC_2 = (y'(0) - \alpha y(0))/\beta## is real if ##y(0), y'(0)## are real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted