Question involving higher derivatives

• Thread starter physicsernaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary: I was getting confused because the problem says "which of the following satisfy (f^k)(x) = 0 for all k >= 6?" I thought it meant that the functions in that list were the functions that satisfied the equation.
physicsernaw

Homework Statement

Which of the following satisfy (f^k)(x) = 0 for all k >= 6?

a) f(x) = 7x^4 + 4 + x^-1
b) f(x) = sqrt(x)
c) f(x) = x^(9/5)
d) f(x) = x^3 - 2
e) f(x) = 1 - x^6
f) f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x^5

Homework Equations

None, but given as a problem in a chapter where the topic is higher order derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is e) but it's true for all k not just k>=6 and I don't know how finding the answer relates to higher order derivatives or how I'd use higher order derivatives to find the solution

k >= 6, for x = 1 & -1

(1-1)^k = 0
0^k = 0, lol

Edit: Hmmm maybe I'm reading the problem wrong? Is it asking which function is always = 0 for all x, and all k >= 6?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsernaw said:

Homework Statement

b) f(x) = sqrt(x)
c) f(x) = x^(9/5)
d) f(x) = x^3 - 2
e) f(x) = 1 - x^6
f) f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x^5

Homework Equations

None, but given as a problem in a chapter where the topic is higher order derivatives.

I think the answer is e) but it's true for all k not just k>=6 and I don't know how finding the answer relates to higher order derivatives or how I'd use higher order derivatives to find the solution

k >= 6, for x = 1 & -1

(1-1)^k = 0
0^k = 0, lol

You misunderstand the problem. The kth derivative is supposed to be identically zero (zero for ALL values of x, not just some). What's the 6th derivative of 1-x^6?

physicsernaw said:

Homework Statement

b) f(x) = sqrt(x)
c) f(x) = x^(9/5)
d) f(x) = x^3 - 2
e) f(x) = 1 - x^6
f) f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x^5

Homework Equations

k >= 6, for x = 1 & -1

(1-1)^k = 0
0^k = 0, lol
That doesn't make sense. These are supposed to be higher-order derivatives, not functions raised to an exponent. For choice (e), the 1st derivative (k = 1) is
[itex]f'(x) = -6x^5[/itex],
which is clearly not zero.

The question is, for which function(s) will the sixth- and higher-order derivatives be zero?
When is
[itex]f^{(6)}(x) = 0, f^{(7)}(x) = 0, f^{(8)}(x) = 0[/itex]
(and so on)?

Ohhh. I thought the question was asking for f to the kth power, not the kth derivative of f

XD

Thanks.

1. What is a higher derivative?

A higher derivative is the derivative of a derivative. For example, the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, the third derivative is the derivative of the second derivative, and so on.

2. Why are higher derivatives important?

Higher derivatives are important because they provide information about the rate of change of a function at a given point. They can also help us understand the shape and behavior of a function.

3. How do you find higher derivatives?

To find higher derivatives, you take the derivative of the previous derivative. For example, to find the third derivative, you take the derivative of the second derivative.

4. What is the notation for higher derivatives?

The notation for higher derivatives uses the prime symbol (') to indicate the derivative. The second derivative is denoted as f''(x), the third derivative as f'''(x), and so on.

5. What are some real-world applications of higher derivatives?

Higher derivatives are used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, analyze the stability of systems, and optimize processes. For example, the third derivative of position with respect to time is acceleration, which is used in physics to describe the motion of objects.