1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question involving LAWS OF WORK

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    I have been given the prompt:

"Using a set of pulleys, a mover raises a 1000-N crate a distance of 5.00 m. This is accomplished by pulling in 20.0 m of cord"

I need to find

• How much effort would have to be applied if this were an ideal machine
    • If the effort actually applied is 300 N, what force is used to overcome friction?
    • What is the work output?
    • What is the work input?
    • What is the real mechanical advantage?

I don't know if I have done this correctly so if someone would be willing to verify my answers or guide me through this, it would be appreciated.

1. In an ideal machine, I believe work input is equal to work output. With that being said, I can set up the equation 1000N * 5.0 M = XN * 20.0 M, then I can solve X for 250 N... Correct?

2. I'm not too sure what it means when it asks to OVERCOME friction, so what do i do?

3. Work output is just equal to force * distance, so we evaluate the given 1000N force times the given 5.0 M distance and get 5000 J, Correct?

4. Work input is just equal to force * distance as well, so we evaluate the value we solved for in number 1 (250) and multiply by the given 25 m distance and get 5000J, correct?

5. Not sure at all what to do :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Ideal MA is 4, since it took just 1/4 of the weight to move it (250/1000 =1/4). So its actual MA is??
  4. Nov 7, 2006 #3
    alright man, I understand it. Thanks SO much
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?