Question involving the mathematics of physics and trigonometry

In summary: I did that, and it came out to be 111.11 degrees.In summary, to go across the river at a 45 degree angle, you would need to row at a velocity of 4.0 km/h.
kiraahhh
I am having trouble solving this question, please help and show work! Thank you!

A boat that can travel at 4.0 km/h in still water crosses a river with a current of 2.0 km/h. At what angle must the boat be pointed upstream (that is, relative to its actual path) to go straight across the river?

A] 27
B] 30
C] 60
D]63
E] 90

Physics news on Phys.org
So, that giant template that you deleted when you posted your thread, did you even bother to read it? The template that said you must show your own attempt at the problem?

Unfortunately, I would've attempted but I have absolutely no clue. Therefore I couldn't have found a way to attempt it. I did read the template and I kept it in mind for future questions, but I couldn't for this one.

So let's assume you're at the "bottom" side of a river going horizontally. The current is going to the right and you want to move to the "top" side of the river. You'll need to point your boat and row across and to the left so as to compensate for the river trying to push you to the right. Pointing at this angle gives you a triangle across the river with horizontal and vertical components to the velocity of your boat.

To go straight across, your horizontal component must be 2km/h. The problem says you can row at a total of 4km/h. This would be your hypotenuse. So you have your horizontal component which is 1 leg of the triangle, the total velocity which is the hypotenuse, and this gives you enough information to find the angle for this angle you have to travel at.

Thank you very much!

Sorry to bother again, I tried approaching this by finding the other leg (through Pythagorean Theorem) and got 3.46. Then I did a proportion, 90 / 4.0 = x / 3.46 , but I couldn't get an appropriate answer.

Then I did a proportion, 90 / 4.0 = x / 3.46 , but I couldn't get an appropriate answer.
You are trying to find the angle, right? Your method is inappropriate. Use trig.

So then how would I use trig?

Don't you have something like this:

trig.jpg

Solving for Θ is pretty straightforward. If you recognize the triangle, it should be obvious, otherwise think opposite/hypotenuse.

I did that, i did sin -1 (2/4) and i got .5235987756 , but i don't know how to use that to get an answer

As lewando said, your ratio method doesn't make sense.

What you calculated is your answer, except it's in radians. Convert back to degrees if you need the answer in degrees.

What is the difference between physics and trigonometry?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. Trigonometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

How is trigonometry used in physics?

Trigonometry is used in physics to calculate the forces, velocities, and accelerations of objects in motion. It is also used to analyze the motion of waves and other periodic phenomena, as well as to determine the direction and magnitude of vectors in three-dimensional space.

What is the importance of trigonometry in physics?

Trigonometry is essential in physics as it provides a mathematical framework for understanding and describing the physical world. It allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of objects and systems, which is crucial in the development of theories and technologies.

How do you use trigonometry to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems using trigonometry, you need to identify the relevant quantities (such as angles, distances, and forces) and use the appropriate trigonometric ratios (sine, cosine, tangent) to find the unknown values. It is important to draw accurate diagrams and apply the correct formulas to ensure accurate solutions.

What are some real-world applications of physics and trigonometry?

Physics and trigonometry have numerous real-world applications, such as designing bridges and buildings, predicting the motion of celestial objects, and developing technologies like GPS and radar. They are also used in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and navigation.