Question of value B.S. Applied Mathematics to Engineering?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a B.S. in Applied Mathematics instead of an engineering degree due to personal life issues and limitations. They are also considering pursuing a Master's degree for better marketability, but are unsure if it is necessary due to their age. They have received mixed feedback from professors and are seeking opinions on the viability of this degree combination.
hakujin
Due to personal life issues and limitations, I've been seeking other options for my B.S. and came upon Applied Mathematics. What I've been on the fence about for a while now has been which Engineering degree to pursue be it Material Science, Mechanical, or Aerospace.

However, it has been brought to my attention that it is better for me, a person who will be well into their 30's by the completion of their first B.S., to go for a M.S. too for better marketability. However, since I can only attend school part time, choosing a B.S. path in Engineering would take farm longer than a B.S. in Applied Mathematics.

The school I'm attending has a minimum requirement for the Masters of Engineering program for non B.S. of Engineering graduates. The requirements would already be covered by completing my minor during my B.S.

I've not gotten much in the way of "supportive" feed back from either my currently Calculus Professor nor my Engineering Professor where this path is concerned. So I propose to the people here if they have any pro/con opinions on this specific degree combination?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how to reply to what you've written here because I get the impression that you're leaving out some important details. Still, I'm compelled to reply since I empathize with your situation since I am also in my 30s getting an engineering degree.

For what it's worth, one of my professors did his BS in math before going on to do his PhD in TAM. He then worked as a civil engineer for many years before coming to our school to lecture in mechanical engineering and materials science. I suppose he is proof that it is possible to go from math into engineering. Yet, if you want to do engineering then why not just do engineering?

I'm a student so I've yet to look for a job but I haven't seen anything that suggests ageism in terms of employment. If anything I'd say it's the opposite. I'm constantly being courted for internships and research and I haven't even worked that hard for those sorts of opportunities. People appreciate the maturity and focus that age can bring. Besides, given how long the average life span is now, 30-something is still fairly young. You could go on to work for another 30 years or more. My point is, I'd question the advice that says you must go to grad school for marketability because of your age. Obviously a Master's opens up new opportunities but that's inherent to the degree itself no matter the age of the recipient.

I feel I should mention that I plan to go to grad school so I'm not saying this to make myself feel better :)

I am interested in the answer to this question at the PhD level. Oddly enough, I have found a university mathematics department in the UK which does research into laser-induced nuclear fusion and vortices!, generally subjects in aerospace or nuclear engineering departments. I wonder if a graduate of such a program would have a viable shot at engineering jobs, because of the research experience in a very applied field, or if he/she would be dismissed on the basis of the nominal "mathematician" title.

Hercuflea said:
I am interested in the answer to this question at the PhD level. Oddly enough, I have found a university mathematics department in the UK which does research into laser-induced nuclear fusion and vortices!, generally subjects in aerospace or nuclear engineering departments. I wonder if a graduate of such a program would have a viable shot at engineering jobs, because of the research experience in a very applied field, or if he/she would be dismissed on the basis of the nominal "mathematician" title.

Would probably be dismissed from most engineering roles on the basis of not having an engineering degree. The research performed isn't likely particularly relevant to the vast majority of jobs in said fields.

I cannot provide a personal opinion on which degree you should pursue. However, I can provide some information that may help you make your decision.

Firstly, it is important to understand the differences between a B.S. in Applied Mathematics and a B.S. in Engineering. A B.S. in Applied Mathematics focuses on the application of mathematical principles to real-world problems, while a B.S. in Engineering focuses on the design and development of practical solutions to problems. Both degrees involve a strong foundation in mathematics and may have some overlapping coursework, but they have different areas of emphasis.

In terms of marketability, it is true that having a M.S. in addition to a B.S. may make you more competitive in the job market. However, this may not necessarily be the case for all industries and positions. It is important to research the specific job market and industries you are interested in to determine if a M.S. is necessary for your career goals.

Additionally, pursuing a B.S. in Engineering may require more time and resources, as you mentioned. It is important to weigh the potential benefits of a B.S. in Engineering against the additional time and effort it may take to complete the degree.

As for the opinions of your professors, it is important to remember that they may have their own biases and experiences that may not necessarily reflect your own. It may be helpful to seek out advice from other professionals in the field or alumni who have pursued similar paths.

Ultimately, the decision of which degree to pursue should be based on your personal interests, career goals, and resources. I would recommend researching and exploring both options further before making a decision. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between a BS in Applied Mathematics and a BS in Engineering?

A BS in Applied Mathematics focuses on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of engineering, while a BS in Engineering focuses on the practical application of mathematical concepts to the design and development of systems and structures.

2. How can a BS in Applied Mathematics be applied to engineering?

A BS in Applied Mathematics provides students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. These skills are essential in the field of engineering, where complex mathematical models are used to design and analyze systems and structures.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a BS in Applied Mathematics applied to engineering?

Graduates with a BS in Applied Mathematics applied to engineering have a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, electronics, and energy. They can work as engineers, data analysts, systems analysts, and research scientists, among others.

4. Is it necessary to have a master's degree or higher to work in engineering with a BS in Applied Mathematics?

While a master's degree or higher may provide advanced knowledge and skills in a specific area of engineering, a BS in Applied Mathematics is sufficient for many entry-level engineering positions. However, some employers may prefer candidates with a higher level of education.

5. Can a BS in Applied Mathematics applied to engineering lead to a career in research or academia?

Yes, a BS in Applied Mathematics applied to engineering can lead to a career in research or academia. Graduates can pursue further education, such as a master's or doctoral degree, to specialize in a specific area of engineering and conduct research or teach at the university level.