1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Deriving Physics Equations

1. Feb 4, 2016 #1
    So I am teaching myself physics in "Physics 1 For Dummies" and I have come across a chapter dealing with deriving equations, this one being the distance through using the average velocity. I have never derived equations before, so be easy on me!

So basically it starts off with s=vt (distance equals velocity times time). We take the initial and final velocity and get the average, which is v=1/2at. When this is applied to the final equation, we get s=vt=(1/2at)t

Where did this extra t come from? I thought the equation for velocity was change in distance divided by change in time? Also, why do we add on another equal sign for it? I've never taken calculus so I may need to take that first, but I was hoping someone could explain.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2016 #2
    I'll use square brackets simply to separate the terms, so you can guess which 't' you are trying to wrongly discard.

s = [v] [t]
    s = [1/2 at] [t]

note, v is different than vt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted