Question on Dirichlet problem in cylinder with radial symmetry.

In summary: Alan.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of deriving the solution for a cylinder with radial symmetry, given a specific equation and boundary conditions. The book claims that only positive values of k can produce non-trivial solutions, and the conversation explores how this is related to the Z boundary value problem. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the solution for k = 0 and provides further clarification on the topic.
yungman
This is not homework.

I have problem deriving the solution for cylinder with radial symmetry given:

[tex] \nabla^2U(\rho,z)=R''+\frac{1}{\rho}R'+\frac{Z''}{Z}=0[/tex]

Which give [itex] \rho^2 R''+ \rho R' -k\rho^2 R=0 \hbox { and } Z''+kZ=0[/itex]

With given boundary conditions [itex] U(\rho,0) = U(\rho,h) =0 \hbox { for } \rho<a \hbox{ and } U(a,z) = f(z)[/itex]

The book claimed [itex]k=-\lambda^2 = -ve[/itex] can only produce trivial solution of R. I cannot verify this.

k=-ve give [itex]\rho^2 R''+ \rho R' +\lambda^2 R=0[/itex]

This is parametric Bessel's equation of order zero which give [itex]R(\rho)=c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho) + c_2 Y_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex]

R(0) is bounded [itex] \Rightarrow c_2 = 0 \Rightarrow R(\rho)= c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex]

That's where I get stuck. I cannot rule this out [itex] R(\rho)= c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex] as a solution with the given boundary condition.

The book claimed only k=+ve would give solution. Please give me some suggestion.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the Z boundary value problem which restricts the values of k. Your Z bvp is:

Z'' + k Z = 0
Z(0) = Z(h) = 0

If you solve this you will find that only k = μ2 > 0 gives non-trivial solutions. So these are the values that must be used in the other equation too.

LCKurtz said:
It is the Z boundary value problem which restricts the values of k. Your Z bvp is:

Z'' + k Z = 0
Z(0) = Z(h) = 0

If you solve this you will find that only k = μ2 > 0 gives non-trivial solutions. So these are the values that must be used in the other equation too.

I am embarrassed! Thank you very much.

One more verification. [itex] Z''+kZ=0 \Rightarrow Z=d_1cos(\sqrt{k} z) + d_2 sin (\sqrt{k} z)[/itex]

for k=0 [itex] \Rightarrow Z=d_1.\;\;U(\rho,0)=0 \Rightarrow d_1=0 \[/itex]
I don't know why I cannot edit the [itex]d_2[/itex] portion.

Therefore k=0 give trivial solution also. Am I correct?

Thanks a million
Alan

Last edited:
When k = 0 the solution to the equation does not have a {sine,cosine} form. It is just:

Z'' = 0.

Apply the boundary conditions to the general solution of that and see what happens.

Thanks

1. What is the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry?

The Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry is a mathematical problem that involves finding a solution to the Laplace equation in a cylindrical region where the boundary values are specified on a circle that is centered at the origin of the cylinder. This problem is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including potential theory, fluid mechanics, and electromagnetism.

2. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in terms of its second-order derivatives. In the context of the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry, the Laplace equation expresses the fact that the potential function is harmonic, meaning that it satisfies the condition that the sum of its second-order partial derivatives is equal to zero.

3. What is radial symmetry?

Radial symmetry is a type of symmetry in which an object can be rotated around a central axis and still appear the same. In the context of the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder, radial symmetry means that the potential function only depends on the distance from the central axis and not on the angle around the axis.

4. What is the significance of solving the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry?

Solving the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry allows us to find a solution to the Laplace equation in a cylindrical region with specific boundary conditions. This has important applications in areas such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics, where the Laplace equation is used to model physical phenomena.

5. What are some methods for solving the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry?

There are several methods for solving the Dirichlet problem in a cylinder with radial symmetry, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and conformal mapping. These methods involve using different mathematical techniques to transform the problem into a more manageable form and finding a solution that satisfies the boundary conditions.