Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Dirichlet problem in cylinder with radial symmetry.

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    This is not homework.

I have problem deriving the solution for cylinder with radial symmetry given:

[tex] \nabla^2U(\rho,z)=R''+\frac{1}{\rho}R'+\frac{Z''}{Z}=0[/tex]

Which give [itex] \rho^2 R''+ \rho R' -k\rho^2 R=0 \hbox { and } Z''+kZ=0[/itex]

With given boundary conditions [itex] U(\rho,0) = U(\rho,h) =0 \hbox { for } \rho<a \hbox{ and } U(a,z) = f(z)[/itex]

The book claimed [itex]k=-\lambda^2 = -ve[/itex] can only produce trivial solution of R. I cannot verify this.

k=-ve give [itex]\rho^2 R''+ \rho R' +\lambda^2 R=0[/itex]

This is parametric Bessel's equation of order zero which give [itex]R(\rho)=c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho) + c_2 Y_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex]

R(0) is bounded [itex] \Rightarrow c_2 = 0 \Rightarrow R(\rho)= c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex]

That's where I get stuck. I cannot rule this out [itex] R(\rho)= c_1 J_0(\lambda_n\rho)[/itex] as a solution with the given boundary condition.

The book claimed only k=+ve would give solution. Please give me some suggestion.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is the Z boundary value problem which restricts the values of k. Your Z bvp is:

Z'' + k Z = 0
    Z(0) = Z(h) = 0

If you solve this you will find that only k = μ2 > 0 gives non-trivial solutions. So these are the values that must be used in the other equation too.

4. May 12, 2010 #3
    I am embarrassed!!!! Thank you very much.

One more verification. [itex] Z''+kZ=0 \Rightarrow Z=d_1cos(\sqrt{k} z) + d_2 sin (\sqrt{k} z)[/itex]

for k=0 [itex] \Rightarrow Z=d_1.\;\;U(\rho,0)=0 \Rightarrow d_1=0 \[/itex]
    I don't know why I cannot edit the [itex]d_2[/itex] portion.

Therefore k=0 give trivial solution also. Am I correct?

Thanks a million
    Alan

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  5. May 13, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When k = 0 the solution to the equation does not have a {sine,cosine} form. It is just:

Z'' = 0.

Apply the boundary conditions to the general solution of that and see what happens.

6. May 13, 2010 #5
    Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook