Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Elementary Index Notation

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    I have a question regarding the attached file. How do you get those indicies when you multiply the kronecker deltas with A, B, and C? For instance, C - subscript m remains the same on the left side of the expression, but then becomes C subscript i on the right side.

How does this logically work out? What are the rules for these operations?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Intro to elementary index notation

[tex]\varepsilon_{kij}\varepsilon_{klm}A_jB_lC_m\,=\,(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\,-\,\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})(A_jB_lC_m)\\
    =\,A_mB_iC_m\,-\,A_lB_lC_i\,=\,B_iA_mC_m\,-\,C_iA_lB_l\,=\,B_i(\bold{A}\cdot{\bold{C}})\,-\,C_i(\bold{A}\cdot{\bold{B}})[/tex]

The key is [tex]\varepsilon_{kij}\varepsilon_{klm}\,=\,(\delta_{il}\delta_{jm}\,-\,\delta_{im}\delta_{jl})[/tex]

Is that clear?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. Sep 9, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand that they are using the "summation convention"? That, since j, l, and m are repeated, there is an implied sum as j, l, and m take on values 1, 2, and 3. The final result cannot depend on j, l, or m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook