1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Equation Rearranging

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    Hi everybody. Sorry for urgency, but I am in dire need of help for my physics lab exam. Has anyone ever had experience with the formula:

T^2 = kd + A/d

From a graph of T^2d (yaxis) vs. d^2 (xaxis), we can get the slope and the y intercept.

We are supposed to find the values of the constants k and A. Any ideas?

SO FAR...
    we have the idea that from the graph we can get an equation of y=mx+b and use that to find the values of k and A. So, the b value would be (A/d) and the mx (kd). Does this work? Any ideas. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2
    If this is T x T = kd + A/d with k,A constants and T, d variables it's a non linear equation, NOT a straight line.

4. Jan 25, 2006 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but they were plottin (T^2 d) as a function of d^2. Now, THAT is then of course equal to T^2 d = k d^2 + A = m d^2 + b.

So the suggestion is obviously correct, but I wonder how the OP cannot see this him/her self...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?