Question on nuclear/quantum mech. unit of physics, its due 10pm tonight

In summary, we are calculating the energy given up by an electron as it passes between two electrodes with a potential difference of 17800 V. Using the equation E=QV, we find this energy to be 2.85156 x 10^-15 J. Additionally, one fourth of this energy is converted into radiation in the form of a single photon. Using the equation E=hf, we can determine the frequency of this radiation to be 1.075886612 x 10^18 Hz.
physicsboy321
energy from electron passing between 2 electrodes, and calc. the freq of the elec.

Homework Statement

Part 1:
The difference in potential between the cathode and anode of a spark plug is 17800 V.
What energy does the electron give up as it
passes between the electrodes?
Answer in units of J.

Part 2:
One fourth of the energy given up by an electron is converted into radiation in the form of
a single photon.
What is the frequency of the radiation?
Answer in units of Hz.

Homework Equations

v=i*r?
Q = Δmc2
E=hf?
planck's constant=6.62607 × 10^-34 J · s
c² =931.5 MeV/u
1 eV=1.602×10−19 J
idk what else is needed sry

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin this problem, but my attempts are listed below
Pt.1: E= (1.602×10−19 J)(17800V)=2.85156 x 10^-15
Pt 2: E=hf
[(1/4)*(2.85156 x 10^-15)]/(6.62607 × 10^-34 J · s) =f <<<<-not sure
f=1.075886612 x 10^18 Hz??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

never mind i got it answered
turns out my process was correct

Related to Question on nuclear/quantum mech. unit of physics, its due 10pm tonight

1. What is the difference between nuclear and quantum mechanics in physics?

Nuclear mechanics deals with the behavior of particles within the nucleus of an atom, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on an atomic and subatomic level.

2. How do nuclear and quantum mechanics relate to each other?

Nuclear mechanics is a subset of quantum mechanics, as it focuses specifically on the behavior of particles within the nucleus, which is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some applications of nuclear and quantum mechanics in the real world?

Nuclear mechanics is used in the development of nuclear power and weapons, while quantum mechanics is used in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory.

4. What is the unit of measurement used in nuclear and quantum mechanics?

In nuclear mechanics, the unit of measurement is typically the atomic mass unit (u), while in quantum mechanics, the unit of measurement is the Planck constant (h).

5. How is the study of nuclear and quantum mechanics important for our understanding of the universe?

Nuclear and quantum mechanics help us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact, providing insight into the origins and behavior of the universe at a microscopic level.