Question on Relativistic Doppler Shift

In summary: This is the so-called "Doppler effect" and it is based on the principle of time dilation. Aberration, as you rightly point out, has a big effect on the observed frequency, depending on the direction of the movement.
arunma
I have a quick relativity question. Say an observer is moving at a relativistic velocity with respect to some light source that emits light at one particular frequency (the observer's path does not intersect the emitter). At the point of closest approach, will light from the emitter be Doppler shifted in the observer's reference frame? To illustrate what I'm talking about, I've attached an image, where the observer's velocity is parallel to the x-axis, and at closest approach, its separation from the emitter is parallel to the y-axis.

Anyway, I'm tempted to say that there's no Doppler shift, since the emitter's velocity with respect to the observer is parallel to the observer's velocity. But I'm told that this isn't correct. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Attachments

• New Windows Bitmap Image.GIF
    New Windows Bitmap Image.GIF
    803 bytes · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
The relativistic Doppler shift is omega'=gamma(omega+v.k),
where v is the source velocity vector in the oberver's rest frame,
w is the angular frequency and k the wave vector of the light
in the source rest frame.
Even when v and k are perpendicular so v.k=0,
there is a Doppler shift, called the "transverse Doppler shift".
This is derived in many textbooks.

arunma said:
Anyway, I'm tempted to say that there's no Doppler shift, since the emitter's velocity with respect to the observer is parallel to the observer's velocity. But I'm told that this isn't correct. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Even when the relative velocity of source to observer is perpendicular (transverse) to the line between them, one still has an effect due to time dilation. As Meir Achuz says, this is called the transverse Doppler effect.

Thanks, I'll look up the transverse Doppler shift.

Look it up in a textbook. Wikipedia is full of confusion on this
(and other things too).

I don't have a textbook to look it up in, but i was thinking that time in the moving object is going slower (assuming that the light source is the reference frame). Therefore, you would have more periods (?) passing each second in the moving object than at the source. Therefore, a doppler shift towards higher frequency. However, when you are moving away from an object, there is a doppler shift down. So, is there a point at which total doppler shift is zero?

and also what about aberration? is the doppler shift based on the apparent source of light or the actual (relative to the moving object)?aberration, time dialation, doppler shift, so many things to keep track of...

Last edited:
mr200backstrok said:
I don't have a textbook to look it up in, but i was thinking that time in the moving object is going slower (assuming that the light source is the reference frame). Therefore, you would have more periods (?) passing each second in the moving object than at the source. Therefore, a doppler shift towards higher frequency.

No, it is the observer's reference frame that we are dealing with here. According to time dilation, when a clock and observer are moving relative to each other, the clock runs slower in the reference frame in which the observer is at rest (which is often called the "observer's reference frame"), than in the reference frame in which the clock is at rest (which is often called the "clock's reference frame"). Therefore in the "observer's reference frame" in a given amount of time (as measured by his own clock), fewer periods elapse on a moving clock or moving light source or whatever, and the observed frequency is lower than the frequency that would be observed by someone who is moving along with the source (and for whom the source is at rest).

1. What is the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift is a phenomenon in which the frequency and wavelength of electromagnetic waves (such as light) appear to change when observed from different frames of reference that are moving at different speeds relative to each other. It is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How is the Relativistic Doppler Shift different from the Classical Doppler Effect?

The Classical Doppler Effect only takes into account the relative velocity between the source of the wave and the observer, whereas the Relativistic Doppler Shift also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the relative velocity between the frames of reference. This makes the Relativistic Doppler Shift more accurate for high speeds and near the speed of light.

3. What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Shift is: f' = f√[(c±v)/(c∓v)] where f is the observed frequency, f' is the emitted frequency, c is the speed of light, and v is the relative velocity between the source and observer.

4. What are the applications of the Relativistic Doppler Shift?

The Relativistic Doppler Shift has many applications in astronomy and cosmology. It is used to measure the speeds and distances of celestial objects, such as stars, galaxies, and quasars. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as Doppler ultrasound, to measure blood flow in the body.

5. Can the Relativistic Doppler Shift be observed in everyday life?

Although the Relativistic Doppler Shift is present in everyday life, it is not noticeable at low speeds. However, it can be observed in certain situations, such as when an object is moving at very high speeds, or in experiments involving particle accelerators. Additionally, the Global Positioning System (GPS) takes into account the Relativistic Doppler Shift to ensure accurate location tracking.