Question on solving complex limit with taylor

In summary, the problem with solving a very hard limit with taylor series is that when substituting each trigonometric function with a taylor series, the series becomes a power of a series.
transgalactic
question on solving a very hard limit with taylor

i want to solve this limit:

(1 - (cos x)^(sin(x^2)) ) / (sin (x^4))

i tried to solve it by tailor
the problem is that when i subtitute each trigonometric function with
a taylor series

i get a series in a power of a series
i don't know how to handle that

i generaly i don't know till what length to make each series
??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok first of all; What is your limit of? as (sin^2 x) approaches 15? Or as x approaches infinity?

Second of all, not all limits can be done with Taylor series...there are other methods that can do this limit though.

for what cases we solve with tailor then

anyone??

Sigh you just have to learn from experience and realize when you can and when you can't. To get used to it, just try to use taylor series for everything for a while. If you try it for this one, it obviously dosent help.

I am going to guess that it is approaching zero. Use L'Hopitals rule. Unless all other methods fail, try Taylor series at the end. Avoid Taylor series when the powers are trig functions. They might become messy.

unplebeian: are you guessing that the OP meant that the value of the limit is approaching zero, or that x is approaching zero?

The OP still hasnt stated it >.> It the limit does not exist either way though. It oscillates horrendously around 0 and periodically afterwards. The OP choose a really bad example to begin limit how to evaluate limits on :(

Go to the Wikipedia articles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'H%C3%B4pital's_rule and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series to get more familiar with these things.

Last edited:
Yeah, I said in my post that I was guessing.

No No i was asking for which one you were guessing at. 1) That x is approaching 0, or 2) That the value of the limit is approaching 0.

its x approaching zero

That limit oscillates horribly around zero, the limit doesn't exist. If you want an exercise with computing limits with Taylor series, show: [tex]\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1, \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{\cos h -1}{h} = 0, \lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^x -1}{x} = 0 [/tex].

For more practice with Taylor series on things other than limits, show [tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/tex], [tex]\sin (x+h) = \sin(x) \cos(h)+\cos(x) \sin(h)[/tex] and [tex] \arctan x = x - \frac{x^3}{3} + \frac{x^5}{5} ..., |x| < 1 [/tex].

Gib Z said:
That limit oscillates horribly around zero, the limit doesn't exist...

mmm. I think not.

According to maple the limit does exist. But as I am not a masochist, I will not try to find out how to get the answer.

according to MMA it's 1/2...

Actually, I may have found a solution with taylor:

[tex]cos(x)^{sin{x^2}}[/tex]
~=
[tex](1 - x^2/2)^{x^2}[/tex]
~=
[tex] 1 - \frac{x^4}{2}[/tex]

So

[tex] \frac{1 - cos(x)^{sin(x^2)}}{sin(x^4)}[/tex]
~=
[tex]\frac{x^4}{2sin(x^4)}[/tex]
~= 1/2

Granted there are probably tons of unjustified simplifications here. A physicist's proof, not a mathematician's.

Last edited:
A physicist's proof is the best kind, in my opinion. 1 - cos(x)^(sin(x^2)) does indeed behave near zero as (x^4)/2, and sin(x^4) behaves near zero as x^4. Good job.

Yes this is indeed odd. Finding roots of the derivative of the function, there are infinitely many as we approach zero ie the derivative changes sign infinitely often near zero iee the function alternatives between increasing and decreasing infinitely often near zero. This was done with Maple by the way. Then, I asked it to find the limit, Maple states that it doesn't exist. I concluded that it was because of the oscillations, since right hand and left hand limits must be the same, the function being an even one. I even graphed it to check, it certainly looked like the limit was 1/2, but when i zoomed in I saw the oscillations.

However, when I saw these recent posts, I bothered to work it out myself in a similar manner to nicksauce, though with the mathematicians version, and I also conclude the limit is a half. Sorry =]

PS To Make that proof perfectly fine, just use Big-Oh notation. To make it a proper Physicists proof, denote the approximations with equalities =] And good work on not stating the limit on the last line.

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point. It is used to approximate a function near that point.

How do you solve a complex limit using Taylor series?

To solve a complex limit using Taylor series, you first need to expand the function into a Taylor series. Then, you can evaluate the limit by plugging in the value of the limit into the series and simplifying the expression. The resulting value is the limit of the original function.

What is the order of a Taylor series?

The order of a Taylor series refers to the highest power of the variable in the series. For example, a Taylor series of order 3 would have terms up to the third power of the variable.

What is the remainder term in a Taylor series?

The remainder term in a Taylor series is the difference between the actual value of the function and the value calculated using the Taylor series. It represents the error in the approximation and becomes smaller as the number of terms in the series increases.

Why is Taylor series useful in solving complex limits?

Taylor series are useful in solving complex limits because they allow us to approximate a function near a point without having to use complicated calculus techniques. They also provide a way to evaluate limits that cannot be solved using traditional methods.