Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Von Mises Stress Envelope

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    I have a question about the Von Mises Stress Ellipse:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Tresca_stress_2D.png

I understand that this equation if a component is subject to more than just an axial stress, the effect must be account for. I also understand that the ellipse is the result if setting one of the stresses to zero; the resulting equation is the equation for an ellipse.

Let's say that we have three stresses acting on a pipe: radial, axial, and tangential. Let's set tangential stress to zero.
    -If you have positive radial (towards the center) and positive axial stress (tensile), why would you need a higher von-Mises stress to yield the pipe (see Quadrant I)?
    -If you have negative radial (away from the center) and positive axial stress (compressive), why would you need a higher von-Mises stress to yield the pipe (see Quadrant III)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

masshakar: Shear stress is higher in quadrants II and IV. Shear stress is relatively more detrimental than normal stress (quadrants I and III), for ductile materials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook