Question on wavelength using the two slit experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed the interference patterns created by passing two different wavelengths of light through a two slit apparatus. The center of the third bright fringe of the red light appeared pure red, indicating that there was no contribution from the other color. To determine the possible wavelengths of the second type of visible light, one would need to know the equations for maxima and minima in a double slit experiment and solve for the unknown wavelength. The slit spacing may also be needed for a more specific answer.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Red light with wavelength of 700 nm is passed through a two slit apparatus. At the same time, monochromatic visible light with another wavelength passed through the same apparatus. As a result most of the pattern that appears on the screen is a mixture of two colors; however, the center of the third bright fringe (m=3) of the red light appears pure red, with none of the other color. What are the possible wavelengths of the second type of visible light?

Do you need to know the slit spacing to answer this question? Why or why not?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well the wavelength of the other color has to be somewhere between 400 and 699 nm i would think. But I have no idea how to be more specific than that. I would think you would need to know the slit spacing to be more specific because to use an equation of the two slit experiement, it requires the slit space distance.

What do you guys and girls think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way the red fringe could appear pure red is of there is no contribution from any other colour.
So the white light fringes must be a minima (ie dark) at this point

So to answer this question I must...?

write down some of the equations for a double slit interference setup

Do you know the equations for maxima & minima in a double slit experiment? Write one equation representing red light and the other representing the unknown wavelength. See if you can solve it from there.

I don't really have time for that. Let's assume I have all the equations and that I know of them.

1. What is the two slit experiment?

The two slit experiment is a famous experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two narrow slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the two slit experiment relate to wavelength?

The two slit experiment is used to measure the wavelength of light. The distance between the slits and the resulting interference pattern on the screen can be used to calculate the wavelength of the light passing through the slits.

3. Why is the two slit experiment important in understanding wavelengths?

The two slit experiment is important because it provides a direct visual representation of the wave-like nature of light. It also allows for the measurement of wavelengths, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter.

4. Can the two slit experiment be used to measure the wavelength of any type of wave?

Yes, the two slit experiment can be used to measure the wavelength of any type of wave, not just light waves. It has been used to measure the wavelengths of sound waves, water waves, and even electron waves.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of wavelength measurements using the two slit experiment?

The accuracy of wavelength measurements using the two slit experiment can be affected by factors such as the distance between the two slits, the distance between the slits and the screen, and the intensity of the light source. Any changes to these factors can alter the resulting interference pattern and therefore affect the accuracy of the measurement.