1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on wavelength using the two slit experiment

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Red light with wavelength of 700 nm is passed through a two slit apparatus. At the same time, monochromatic visible light with another wavelength passed through the same apparatus. As a result most of the pattern that appears on the screen is a mixture of two colors; however, the center of the third bright fringe (m=3) of the red light appears pure red, with none of the other color. What are the possible wavelengths of the second type of visible light?

Do you need to know the slit spacing to answer this question? Why or why not?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well the wavelength of the other color has to be somewhere between 400 and 699 nm i would think. But I have no idea how to be more specific than that. I would think you would need to know the slit spacing to be more specific because to use an equation of the two slit experiement, it requires the slit space distance.

What do you guys and girls think?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only way the red fringe could appear pure red is of there is no contribution from any other colour.
    So the white light fringes must be a minima (ie dark) at this point

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3
    So to answer this question I must.....?

5. Nov 26, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

write down some of the equations for a double slit interference setup

6. Nov 26, 2009 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Do you know the equations for maxima & minima in a double slit experiment? Write one equation representing red light and the other representing the unknown wavelength. See if you can solve it from there.

7. Nov 26, 2009 #6
    I dont really have time for that. Lets assume I have all the equations and that I know of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook