1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on waves where a rope attached to ceiling.

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1

ppy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform rope of mass m and length L hangs from a ceiling. The mass of the rope below a point P is M.

(a) Write down newtons second law for the segment of the rope of mass M and find the tension ata distance y above the lower end of the rope. Show that the speed of a transverse wave on the rope is a function of y, the distance from the lower end, and is given by v = sqr(gy).

(b) Show that the time a transverse wave takes to travel the length of the rope is given by T = 2sqr(L/g)

(a) v = sqr(tension/[mu]), where tension= Mg, and [mu] = M/y --- I think that's right.

b) i do not have a clue for this bit am i meant to use speed= distance over time. If so the speed cant be the speed calculated in a) as then i do not get that answer.
    Thanks.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have v = √(g/y). If x=x(t) is the distance of a wave crest from the bottom of the rope at time t, what differential equation can you write down for x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook