1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding a derivative

1. Sep 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write the derivative of y = (x2+4x+3)/(x1/2)

I got the correct answer, but my question is, why can't I rewrite this as:

y = (x^2+4x+3)*(1/x1/2)

Then see my attempted solution for the result...

2. Relevant equations
    y = (x2+4x+3)/(x1/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

y = (x^2+4x+3)*(x-1/2)
    d/dx = (2x+4)*(-1/2x-3/2)

The problem is that this seems to drop out a term from the equation, because the answer that I got when treating each term as being divided by x1/2 gave me:

d/dx = 1.5x.5+2x-.5-3/(2x(x.5)), which was the answer in the book. Yeesh, sorry this is difficult to read over forums. I tried to use decimals to make it more readable over the forums, but I don't know if it helped. Maybe next time I'll post an image of my work. Sorry.

Anyways, when I did the method I show above, I get a different equation entirely because the term drops out due to the constant becoming a 0 in the derivative. However, it seems that I've followed all the laws correctly that I've been taught. That is, why can't I take each term as a derivative, and multiply it by another derivative?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2015 #2
    Because then you need to use the product rule. If you do that, you'll get the right answer.

4. Sep 25, 2015 #3
    Okay, thanks. I just realized that I am going to come across that in the next section. :D

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Two comments:
    1. In your second equation what you have is the product of the derivatives of the factors in the first equation. That's not how the product rule works. IOW, ##\frac d {dx} f(x) \cdot g(x) \ne f'(x) \cdot g'(x)##
    2. In your second equation you have "d/dx = ..." This is incorrect. The symbol ##\frac d {dx}## is an operator that requires something to operate on, and that appears just to the right of this operator. For the second equation, "dy/dx = " would be appropriate, but "d/dx = " is not, since you haven't shown what it is that you're taking the derivative of. It's a bit like writing √ = 3 or sin = 0.5.

6. Sep 25, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please, please do NOT post an image; a typed version is much better, and is the PF standard.

Anyway, it might be easiest of all if you re-write your function before doing the derivative:
    [tex] y = \frac{x^2 + 4x + 3}{x^{1/2}} = \frac{x^2}{x^{1/2}} + \frac{4x}{x^{1/2}} + \frac{3}{x^{1/2}} \\
    \\
    = x^{3/2} + 4 x^{1/2} + 3 x^{-1/2} [/tex]
    In this last form you can just differentiate term-by-term, and so do not need the product or quotient rules.

7. Sep 25, 2015 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The derivative should be denoted by dy/dx, not d/dx. dy/dx means f'(x), where f is the function defined implicitly by the previously stated relationship between x and y.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted