1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Curl and Cross Product

1. Oct 31, 2009 #1
    I'm studying vector calculus, and have a question about the curl and its relation to a cross product of the del operator and a vector. When doing a standard cross product as the formula I have i(det1) - j(det2) + k(det3), where det1, 2 3 are the appropriate 2x2 determinants. However for the curl it's the same determinants, but i + j + k. I'm wondering what the reason for the difference is?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2009 #2
    I don't think you are right in your assertion. Curl operates like any other cross product, and the method of cofactors operates the same way.

Looking at the wikipedia page for curl though, you might get confused by the formula given as it has 3 +s, but notice that the order of the ad-bc is switched in front of the j to bc-ad.

4. Oct 31, 2009 #3
    Ah, I see what I missed now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook