1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding electric circuits and current

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

electric_circuits.jpg

Referring to the electric circuit above, when the switch(S) turn on, the brightness bulb Q and Ammeter reading increases. so my question is, why? is it true that the S create another path way for current, then at the end of S, the electric current joins the electric current passed through bulb P , so the brightness of bulb Q increase? and why is the ammeter reading increase? Please correct me if my concept is wrong, thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you understand how current flows in a circuit? Do you understand the relationship between resistance and current?

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    As how the current flows in a circuit, I am not that certain, but for the relationship between resistance and current, I understand it with the help of ohm's law

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good. THen how about you think of a better way of saying
    and think about what that means for the current in the circuit.

6. Nov 16, 2012 #5
    Sorry but, I don't get it.. :confused:

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6
    I just went through some reference book, and i got a conclusion. Correct me if i am wrong. The the switch S is closed, the current doesn't flow through P anymore, instead they only flow through the pathway S, as a result, the current doesn't undergo any resistance, and hence, the total Current is greater. In terms of equation, the resistance of S is negligible, so the effective resistance = 1/P + 1/0.00000000...... , and the resultant resistance is very small. Am I right?

8. Nov 17, 2012 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, the bolded part is what I wanted to make sure you understand because this is what makes the total circuit resistance lower. As for specifics, I don't see any values on your diagram.

9. Nov 17, 2012 #8
    Okay I finally got it, THANK YOU VERY MUCH DUDE !! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook