1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding force on a square loop due to a magnetic field

1. Jul 26, 2008 #1
    I am really stuck on this question, can someone help me out?

Code (Text):
    Suppose that the magnetic field in some region has the form [B][tex]\vec{B}[/tex][/B]=kz[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] where [I]k[/I] is a constant. What is the force it will exert on a square loop of side [I]a[/I], lying in the [I]yz[/I]-plane and centered at the origin. The loop carries a current [I]I[/I] that flows conterclockwise looking down the [I]x[/I]-axis.
    It would be very helpful if the steps that should be followed to solve this problem could be provided. Solution is not solicited. Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What have you done regarding this? What formula should you use here?
  4. Jul 27, 2008 #3
    This is not a assignment or homework of mine :) I have been out of touch with electromagnetics for about six years now. But recently I am having a need to refresh what I learnt in my first year of graduation. Instead of reading through textbooks all over again, I am trying to go through solutions of problems trying to recall something.

Like I already said, I don't remember much from my graduation course (I am a CSE graduate) (and definitely not names of formulae) and where they are applied. I would be very grateful if someone can guide me on what formulae needs to be applied here (I don't want the solution) so that by doing this a few times I get enough confidence to try a few other problems on my own. Thanks.
  5. Jul 27, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The force on an element of current in a magnetic field is given by:
    [tex]I d\vec{\ell} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Take advantage of symmetry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?