1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding Greens theorem

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have some questions similar to this one. I have to just provide reasoning as to why this can or cannot be evaluated using greens theorem.

given f = x/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dx + y/sqrt(x^2+y^2) dy, and the curve c is the unit circle around the origin. Why can/cannot the integral of f around c be evaluated using greens theorem?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I said that because taking P as the first term and Q as the second term of f, they both don't have continuous first order partials on c (which is a condition for greens theorem) because there are restrictions on what x and y can be (ie x^2 + y^2 > 0). I'm not sure if that is right though if someone can clarify.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the right idea. P and Q must have continuous partials on an open region containing C and its interior, not just on C. And the problem with the partials is at (0,0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?