Using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral

In summary, the speaker is attempting to solve a line integral problem using Green's theorem. They have created a shape and are questioning the need to subtract the line integral from (0,6) to (0,0). The expert suggests using Green's theorem as normal, but also subtracting the line integral for the path from D to A.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral of (sin x + y) dx + (3x + y) dy on the path connecting A(0, 0) to B(2, 2) to C(2, 4) to D(0, 6). A sketch will be useful.

Homework Equations

Sketching the points, I have created a parallelogram shape. I also know that green's theorem formula, given here: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/GreensTheorem.aspx

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve this problem, I thought I could just utilize Green's theorem at the bounds of the shape. My main question, however, is what my TA told me: apparently in order to evaluate the integral I also have to subtract the line integral over the curve from (0,6) to (0,0). I am very confused on why we need to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohamed Abdul said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the line integral of (sin x + y) dx + (3x + y) dy on the path connecting A(0, 0) to B(2, 2) to C(2, 4) to D(0, 6). A sketch will be useful.

Homework Equations

Sketching the points, I have created a parallelogram shape. I also know that green's theorem formula, given here: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/GreensTheorem.aspx

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve this problem, I thought I could just utilize Green's theorem at the bounds of the shape. My main question, however, is what my TA told me: apparently in order to evaluate the integral I also have to subtract the line integral over the curve from (0,6) to (0,0). I am very confused on why we need to do that.

As stated, the question did not say "closed path", so it goes from A to B to C to D, but not from D back to A. If you used Green's theorem, you will have included a line-segment that was not part of the original problem.

Ray Vickson said:
As stated, the question did not say "closed path", so it goes from A to B to C to D, but not from D back to A. If you used Green's theorem, you will have included a line-segment that was not part of the original problem.
So in solving this I'd use Green's Theorem as normal and then simply subtract the line integral for the path from D to A?

Mohamed Abdul said:
So in solving this I'd use Green's Theorem as normal and then simply subtract the line integral for the path from D to A?
Yes. Not sure why you call the shape a parallelogram in post #1. Also, the integrand in Green's theorem comes out constant. Does that suggest a shortcut?

1. What is Green's Theorem and how is it used for a quadrilateral?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral around a simple closed curve to the double integral over the region enclosed by the curve. It is used for a quadrilateral by converting the line integral of a vector field over the boundary of the quadrilateral into a double integral over the region enclosed by the quadrilateral.

2. What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral?

The conditions for using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral are that the quadrilateral must be simple (non-self-intersecting), and the boundary of the quadrilateral must be a piecewise smooth, closed curve.

3. How is the orientation of the boundary curve important in using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral?

The orientation of the boundary curve is important in using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral because the direction of the line integral and the direction of the double integral must be consistent. If the orientation of the boundary curve is reversed, the result of the double integral will also be reversed.

4. Can Green's Theorem be used for non-rectangular quadrilaterals?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be used for non-rectangular quadrilaterals as long as they meet the conditions stated above. The shape of the quadrilateral does not affect the application of the theorem.

5. What are the advantages of using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral?

One advantage of using Green's Theorem for a quadrilateral is that it provides a simpler way to calculate the line integral of a vector field over the boundary of the quadrilateral. It also allows for the conversion of a complex line integral into a simpler double integral, making it easier to solve. Additionally, Green's Theorem can be applied to more general shapes, not just quadrilaterals, which makes it a versatile tool in mathematical analysis.