Question regarding Lab cross section of spectra

In summary, the absolute cross section is the smallest area of a object that is hit by a particle, while the real CoM cross section is the area of the object that is hit by a particle multiplied by the particle's momentum. The lab cross section is the area of the object that is hit by a particle multiplied by the particle's energy.
eigenstaytes
I'm currently doing some research at the moment for my professor, and he gave me a list of things to look at. Before he had me calculate the "real center of mass cross section." Now, starting at point 0 for publication, he's having me go through and do some other things. In his list of things to do, he talks about the "absolute cross section," and the "lab cross section." Is it safe to assume that all three of these are the same? All I knew about was the lab and center of mass, nothing about the real or the absolute. If not, is there any reference you guys have that explains the difference between them all? I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
eigenstaytes said:
I'm currently doing some research at the moment for my professor, and he gave me a list of things to look at. Before he had me calculate the "real center of mass cross section." Now, starting at point 0 for publication, he's having me go through and do some other things. In his list of things to do, he talks about the "absolute cross section," and the "lab cross section." Is it safe to assume that all three of these are the same?
No.
All I knew about was the lab and center of mass, nothing about the real or the absolute. If not, is there any reference you guys have that explains the difference between them all? I haven't been able to find anything.
You are correct that these terms refer, usually, to different reference frames.
The details will depend on the experiment set-up.

You know - it's a good idea to talk to your supervisor about this.

Would you be able to explain the differences to me about the absolute cross section, real CoM cross section, and lab cross section?

what's the context?

1. What is a lab cross section of spectra?

A lab cross section of spectra is a type of scientific measurement that involves analyzing the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It provides information about the composition and structure of a substance at the atomic or molecular level.

2. How is a lab cross section of spectra performed?

A lab cross section of spectra is usually performed using a spectrometer, which measures the intensity of different wavelengths of light that are emitted or absorbed by a substance. The resulting data is then analyzed to determine the cross section, or probability of interaction, for each wavelength.

3. What types of substances can be analyzed using a lab cross section of spectra?

A lab cross section of spectra can be used to analyze a wide range of substances, including gases, liquids, and solids. It can also be used to study various materials such as chemicals, minerals, and biological samples.

4. What is the significance of a lab cross section of spectra in scientific research?

A lab cross section of spectra is an essential tool in many fields of scientific research, including physics, chemistry, and astronomy. It allows scientists to identify and characterize substances, study the properties of matter, and make predictions about the behavior of materials.

5. Are there any limitations to the information provided by a lab cross section of spectra?

While a lab cross section of spectra can provide valuable information about a substance, it does have limitations. For example, it may not be able to distinguish between different isotopes of an element or provide information about the spatial arrangement of molecules in a sample. Additionally, the accuracy and precision of the measurements may be affected by factors such as instrumentation and sample preparation methods.