Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question REgarding Reimann integral

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Let g:[0,1]--[0,1] be defined by g(x)=1 for x belongs to (0,1] and g(0)=0. Prove that g belongs to R[0,1]?
    and evaluate integral of g with lower limit 0 and upper limit 1.. I will really appreciate the ansawer. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    This question belongs in the undergraduate coursework section of this site. Also, please see this thread on posting guidelines when requesting coursework help.

4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    But where to find undergraduate section. I couldn't find. would you please tell me where is that section. thanks

5. Aug 30, 2009 #4
    It's more important that you show some work. I'll get you started. What is simple but effective partition to choose here? Assuming you understand the basic definitions involved, including what upper and lower sums are, this problem really comes down to understanding how to deal with the point of discontinuity by choosing the right partition.

6. Aug 30, 2009 #5
    Thanks for reply,I am sure that point of discontinuity is zero here and, I know about upper and lower sum .. I don't know how to choose the right partitions. I wish, I could.. In fact, I really don't know how to prove that something is Remiann integrable

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook