Question regarding relative velocities

• Thread starter JoeWr18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, Larry and Harry are driving towards each other at 70 km/h. A pigeon flies at a constant speed of 50 km/h between them, covering a distance of 30 km before they meet.
JoeWr18

Homework Statement

Larry is driving east at 40 km/h. His twin brother Harry is driving west at 30 km/h toward Larry along the same straight road. When they are 42 km apart larry sends out a carrier pigeon, which flies at a constant speed of 50 km/h (all speeds relative to the earth) . The pidgeon flies to Harry, becomes confused and immediatley returns to Larry, becomes more confused and then flies back to Harry. This continues until the twins meet, ignoring turn around time, how far did the pigeon fly.

Homework Equations

I think its just simple gallilean addition of velocities, but there's a part of my thought process I'm doubting which I will outline below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Velocity of Larry relative to Harry= 70 km/h

Time taken for them to cover 42 Km: T= 42/70= 0.6 Hours

In this time the pigeon travels distance D= 0.6*50 = 30 km

Is it this simple or do i need to calculate the distance for each "leg" of the pigeons journey using its velocities relative to each of the drivers?

Thanks
Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
It is this simple although the other (long) way also works if you know what you're doing.

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It is the difference in velocity between the two objects and takes into account the direction and speed of each object.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity can be calculated using the formula Vab = Vb - Va, where Vab is the relative velocity of object A with respect to object B, Vb is the velocity of object B, and Va is the velocity of object A.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the actual velocity of an object without considering any other objects, while relative velocity takes into account the difference in velocity between two objects. Absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the motion of the objects.

How does relative velocity affect collisions between objects?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision between objects. The relative velocity of the two objects at the time of impact will determine the magnitude and direction of the forces involved in the collision.

What are some real-life applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in various fields such as navigation, transportation, and sports. It is also important in understanding the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and satellites, in relation to each other.