1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding the elevator acceleration resultant force

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    Question regarding the "elevator" acceleration resultant force

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the "elevator" case, when a man is standing on a weighing scale, and the elevator accelerate upwards, the resultant force acting on the man will be UPWARD force, and the man is feeling "HEAVIER". So here is my question. Since the resultant force acting on the man is UPWARD force, isn't the man suppose to feel "LIGHTER", since there is a UPWARD force "supporting" him. If I got the whole concept wrong, please explain to me with the correct concept, thanks in advance .

2. Relevant equations

none.

3. The attempt at a solution

been thinking for 2 hours and I just can't understand

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
    Re: Question regarding the "elevator" acceleration resultant force

i dont get the question

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The man 'feels' the contact force acting upward on him, the normal force. He does not 'feel' his own weight. If he was standing in a still elevator, he would feel the contact force acting on him, which is his weight in this case. If he jumped from a building, there would be no contact force at his feet, so even though he still has weight , he wouldn't feel any force acting on him, so that would make him feel very light, feeling like he had no weight at all, in a state of so called 'weightlessness", even though he always has weight. Don't confuse weight with normal forces.

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

Thank you very much dude! this clear things up, thank you very much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook