Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question ,trigonometric identities equation and functions ?

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    what is the difference between trigonometric identities , equations and functions ...?

is it possible to apply some numerical method on a trigonometric function ??

i was looking for an example where numerical methods could be applied on a trigonometric function ...

i am not sure what you could achieve with that at this point of time...

also ... is this a trigonometric function ??

f(x) = A sin (kx-wt)

??

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2016 #2
    Identities like sin^theta + cos^2 theta = 1 are true for all values of theta. Equations like sin theta = cos (theta +x) is true for some value or values of theta only. Any function involving trigonometric ratios of variable can be called trigonometric function. Yes I think numerical methods can be applied here. try to apply it to solve teh equation quoted in this post.

4. Jul 12, 2016 #3
    thanks for that ...

i am not familiar with the numerical methods associated with trigonometry right now ...

could someone tell me few examples of it ??

5. Jul 12, 2016 #4
    just put different values of theta and take some say x = 30 degree. and check when sin theta = cos(theta+30).

6. Jul 12, 2016 #5
    thanks for the answers ..

i will surely try when i get some free time ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted