Questions about aerospace engineering career

• Thread starter ColinM
  • Start date
I am considering a career in either astronautics or aerospace engineering. I have always been interested in space travel. It's one of the few things that I actually spend time researching (along with the physics involved with it).
I am hoping to work with NASA or a company such as Virgin Galactic to help develop and engineer spacecraft or sub-orbital craft.

The thing is, I am a bit clueless as to what options are as far as colleges and majors in this area. I am pretty sure that I would be interested in getting a Ph.D in the field as well.

I am currently a sophomore in highschool, and I want to have a plan for when I start picking out colleges the next couple of years. I am making good grades in all of my classes (I have an A average), and I am good with most math (except geometry-too many theorems and proofs. I prefer equations). Any information I could get regarding this would be great.
Thanks.

Answers and Replies

jhae2.718
Gold Member
I'll let someone else chime in on colleges, but here are a few thoughts.

I’d recommend you take as much math and physics as possible as you can in high school. Try to do AP Physics C and AP Calculus BC. These will give you a good background for your first year courses.

Depending on the program, you'll do both aircraft and spacecraft, and will specialize through your electives. You'll also either specialize in aerofluids and propulsion, dynamics and control (this is what I am specializing in), or materials and structures.

For NASA, the best way to get a job is through their internship and coop program. Most of the engineers NASA hires did a coop/internship with them.