1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about EE, Meteorology and Nuclear

  1. Mar 20, 2008 #1
    Hello all,

    I have some questions about the following Environmental Engineering, and Meteorology.

    What does Environmental Engineers do such as working for a Federal EPA Region?

    What can someone do with a Meteorology degree (all these degree I am talking about will be BS)?

    What does a Air Quality Meteorologists do? I am not talking about being a weather man.

    What does and what jobs can someone get in Nuclear Engineering? In about 6 months or more or maybe less it's about a 50/50 chance of moving to Philadelphia, PA but not sure yet. Right now I am in Allentown. What degrees I mentioned has the most Math? If I did go with Nuclear Engineering let's say what college in PA offers in along with a fusion option? I know there are a couple of options to study I believe they apply to Nuclear but not sure another option I can think of would be Medicine. Not for me. I rather have more Math the Medicine or anything like that.

    In Philly, PA since I need to build up all my level of skills what would be a good Community College (doesn't matter if doesn't have my degrees) then after that go to a 4 year college? It depends on what I need to take and how good I do on the placement test at the CC I might not need to go 2 years. I had plans on going to CC but not for a major just to take classes I need then transfer.

    That would be all the questions I think.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Environmental Engineering (EnvE) program at Penn State

    Working for the EPA or a state agency would be one possibility. Working for company in remediation and restoration is another.

    For Nuclear Engineering, Penn State (State College) has a program.
    http://www.mne.psu.edu/research/nuclear_Science.html [Broken]

    They are not particularly strong in fusion, IMO.
    http://www.mne.psu.edu/undergrad/ugmanuals/NucE_Manual/NucE_Tech_Elects/NucE490.htm [Broken]

    Meterologists could be employed by NASA or the National Weather Service, as well as in private industry.
    Here is the site for the Meteorology program at Penn State.
    http://www.met.psu.edu/dept/ [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    ahh ok.. What college in PA is strong on fusion?
  5. Mar 21, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    I don't believe there is a strong fusion program, since Princeton in NJ had the strongest program in the region.

    UPenn has a Physics & Astronomy program, and that might include Plasma Physics. I would recommend contacting that department.

    http://www.physics.upenn.edu/research/astrophys_cosmo.html [Broken]
    http://www.physics.upenn.edu/home/research/hep/hep.html [Broken]

    One might try Swarthmore College in PA.

    Other programs in the US.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    Thank you sir. Well I rather be a Nuclear Engineer.

    Anyway on Penn State. NO, no not the main campus. WAY to hard to get in. Maybe Delaware County if they have Nuclear. Let's say they do. Do they have a course catalog? I can set an example what I mean. If you go to lehigh.edu I believe it's under Academics. Once there they a course catalog on both descriptions and courses such this year-this year so a catalog would be 2007-2008 or something like that. I can never find a catalog at Penn State. Penn State stopped mailing them out a couple years ago and even when they did mail them out, I was not getting the book catalog. Thank you again. Take care.

    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  7. Mar 21, 2008 #6


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Look here - http://www.mne.psu.edu/Undergrad/degree.htm [Broken]

    Then perhaps one can contact admissions and find out if one can take appropriate freshmen (and maybe sophomore) courses at a local college or PSU branch. Probably by sophomore year, one has to be taking required courses at PSU's main campus.

    http://www.mne.psu.edu/Undergrad/ugmanuals/NucE_Manual/NucE_inside_back_cover.htm [Broken]

    As for fusion, in conjunction with the NE course, one could also check with the PSU Physics program to see what they have in the way of a plasma physics (or astrophysics) course.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. Apr 2, 2008 #7
    Penn State is the only college in Pa that offers nuclear engineering as a major
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook