Questions about finding position, velocity, acceleration related

In summary, the problem involves finding the position, velocity, and acceleration vectors for a stone thrown upward from the top of a 20 m high cliff at an angle of 25 degrees with an initial velocity of 15 m/s. The initial position of the stone is at (0,20) and the magnitude of the velocity 3 seconds after launch can be calculated by finding the components using the given angle and using the formulas v=v0+at and v2=v^20+2aΔx. The initial position is not relevant for the rest of the problem.
Ryukouki
A stone is thrown upward from the top of a 20 m high cliff at an angle of 25 degrees. The stone has an initial velocity of 15 m/s. Make the BASE of the cliff the origin. (a) Write out the position, velocity, and acceleration vectors for the stone. (b) What is the magnitude of the velocity of the stone 3 s after it is launched?

I can understand what is being asked, but not exactly sure on how to reach the answer. I feel like it has do do with finding the components V(0)x and V(0)y with the V(0)cos(θ) and V(0)sin(θ) functions...

Thank you so much in advance! :)

EDIT: Main formulas:

Three key variables (displacement, time, velocity) lead to three key relationships relating each pair:

velocity & time:
v=v0+atdisplacement & time:
x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at^2velocity & displacement:
v2=v^20+2aΔx

Physics news on Phys.org

Did you draw a sketch?
What is the initial position of the stone?
You know the velocity and its direction - can you calculate the horizontal and vertical components of this velocity?

1. Yeah I drew a sketch, a rather ugly ugly sketch. :(
2. The initial position of the stone... how exactly do you find that? Wait, that's not V0 is it? EDIT: Wait, wait. The initial position of the stone, since the cliff is 20 m high, would be at the coordinates (0,20) then, correct?
3. Velocity is 15 m/s, and the direction is 25 degrees. Correct? So, with THAT information, correct or not, am I to try and find the components using the angle and its respective sin and cosine properties?

Am I on the right track so far? Sorry! I'm a chemistry student, and this is my first ever physics class. >_>

Ryukouki said:
The initial position of the stone, since the cliff is 20 m high, would be at the coordinates (0,20) then, correct?
Right
3. Velocity is 15 m/s, and the direction is 25 degrees. Correct?
That is given in the problem statement, indeed.
So, with THAT information, correct or not, am I to try and find the components using the angle and its respective sin and cosine properties?
That is a good idea.

Thanks for your help thus far! So let me ask this, do I also need to calculate the magnitude of the initial position yet? What exactly do I do with that initial position? I have the components.

You just have to find the initial position, it is not relevant for the other parts of the problem.

Yeah, I got it after like three hours pondering it. :P Finished the whole problem.

1. How do you find the position of an object?

To find the position of an object, you will need to know its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x is the position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

2. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position refers to the location of an object at a specific point in time. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, and acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

3. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. The formula is v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is the velocity, xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.

4. Can an object have a constant velocity and changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and changing acceleration if the direction of the velocity and acceleration vectors are different. This can happen in cases of circular motion or when an object is thrown in an arc.

5. How do you use calculus to find position, velocity, and acceleration?

Calculus can be used to find the exact position, velocity, and acceleration of an object at any given time. The derivative of position with respect to time gives velocity, and the derivative of velocity with respect to time gives acceleration. The integral of acceleration with respect to time gives velocity, and the integral of velocity with respect to time gives position.