Questions about the formula for acceleration

In summary, acceleration is equal to the change in velocity divided by the change in time. However, this does not mean that acceleration is also equal to distance divided by time squared. The formula for motion, s=ut*1/2at2, can be rearranged as a=2s/t2 (assuming initial velocity is 0). This formula is only valid for constant acceleration. In terms of units, acceleration is measured in m/s2, which is different from the units for distance and time. Therefore, acceleration and distance/time squared are not equivalent. Additionally, work and torque may have the same units (N*m), but they are not the same thing. Acceleration is a measure of change in speed, while distance and
Crovati

Homework Statement

I know that acceleration = change in velocity/change in time. Wouldn’t acceleration therefore also = distance/time2?

I thought this was true until i learned the formula for motion
s=ut*1/2at2
where
s = distance and u = initial velocity

Here, if you re-arrange the formula (and assuming that initial velocity =0), a= 2s/t2

So which of these formulas are right?

And if i were to create a graph where the slope can help find the acceleration, should i graph 2*distance vs t2 or just distance vs t2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Average acceleration is ##\Delta v / \Delta t##, and average velocity is ##\Delta s / \Delta t##. But ##\Delta v## is not average velocity, so you cannot combine those two equations.
The SUVAT formula you quote is only valid for constant acceleration.

Last edited:
Assume constant acceleration, using va for v average:

v1 = v0 + a Δt
va = 1/2 (v0 + v1)
s1 = s0 + va Δt = s0 + 1/2 (v0 + v1) Δt = s0 + 1/2 (v0 + (v0 + a Δt)) Δt = s0 + v0 Δt + 1/2 a Δt^2

Crovati said:

Homework Statement

I know that acceleration = change in velocity/change in time. Wouldn’t acceleration therefore also = distance/time2?

Acceleration IS equal to distance/time2

distance = meters (or m)
time = seconds (s)

The units for acceleration is: m/s2

No, the fact that is has the same units does not mean that they are the same.
Work is not torque even though both are measured in N*m.

Acceleration is a measure of change in speed. If the speed is constant, you have no acceleration even if there is some distance traveled in some time.

What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (v2 - v1) / t, where a is acceleration, v2 is final velocity, v1 is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do you calculate acceleration?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the final velocity and initial velocity of an object, as well as the time it takes to go from the initial velocity to the final velocity. Then, use the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t to determine the acceleration.

What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s2) in the International System of Units (SI).

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. In other words, acceleration measures how fast an object is speeding up or slowing down, while velocity measures how fast an object is moving.

How is acceleration related to force?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the force applied to an object. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater the acceleration will be. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion: F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.