Show orthogonality of vector-valued functions

In summary, orthogonality in vector-valued functions refers to the relationship between functions whose outputs are perpendicular to each other in a multi-dimensional space. It is important because it allows for simplification and understanding of complex functions, and can be proven by showing that the dot product of their outputs is equal to zero. Even if vector-valued functions have different domains, they can still be considered orthogonal. Orthogonality is used in various real-world applications such as computer graphics, signal processing, and physics.
mastrofoffi
I have this exercise on my book and I believe it is quite simple to solve, but I'm not sure if I did good, so here it is

Homework Statement

given a vector B ∈ ℝn, B ≠ 0 and a function F : ℝ → ℝn such that F(t) ⋅ B = t ∀t and the angle φ between F'(t) and B is constant with respect to t, show that F''(t) is perpendicular to F'(t);

Homework Equations

perpendicular vectors: F''(t) ⋅ F'(t) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I have to show that the scalar product between F'' and F' is 0, i would obviously try to derive the given eqs and find a relation between the two derivatives
F(t) ⋅ B = t ⇒ d/dt(F(t) ⋅ B) = d/dt(t) ⇒ F'(t) ⋅ B = 1
F'(t) ⋅ B = |F'(t)B|cosφ = 1 ⇒ d/dt(|F'(t)B|cosφ) = d/dt(1) ⇒ |F''(t)B|cosφ = 0
cosφ ≠ 0 since F'Bcosφ = 1, and B ≠ 0, then it must be F''(t) = 0 ⇒ F''(t) ⋅ F'(t) = 0

Is this correct? Can I say that the zero vector is perpendicular to F' or did I miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
mastrofoffi said:
I have this exercise on my book and I believe it is quite simple to solve, but I'm not sure if I did good, so here it is

Homework Statement

given a vector B ∈ ℝn, B ≠ 0 and a function F : ℝ → ℝn such that F(t) ⋅ B = t ∀t and the angle φ between F'(t) and B is constant with respect to t, show that F''(t) is perpendicular to F'(t);

Homework Equations

perpendicular vectors: F''(t) ⋅ F'(t) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I have to show that the scalar product between F'' and F' is 0, i would obviously try to derive the given eqs and find a relation between the two derivatives
F(t) ⋅ B = t ⇒ d/dt(F(t) ⋅ B) = d/dt(t) ⇒ F'(t) ⋅ B = 1
F'(t) ⋅ B = |F'(t)B|cosφ = 1 ⇒ d/dt(|F'(t)B|cosφ) = d/dt(1) ⇒ |F''(t)B|cosφ = 0
cosφ ≠ 0 since F'Bcosφ = 1, and B ≠ 0, then it must be F''(t) = 0 ⇒ F''(t) ⋅ F'(t) = 0

Is this correct? Can I say that the zero vector is perpendicular to F' or did I miss something?

It is not generally true that [itex]\|F'\|' = \|F''\|[/itex]. On differentiating [itex]\|F'\|\|B\|\cos \phi[/itex] with respect to [itex]t[/itex] you should obtain [tex]
\|B\|\cos \phi\frac{d\|F'\|}{dt} = 0[/tex] since [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\|B\| = \frac{d\phi}{dt} = 0[/itex].

To proceed further you will need the identity [tex]
\frac{d}{dt}\|F'\|^2 = \frac{d}{dt} (F' \cdot F') = 2F' \cdot F''.[/tex]

pasmith said:
It is not generally true that [itex]\|F'\|' = \|F''\|[/itex]
Oh I see that, I should have been more careful. Thank you very much.

@mastrofoffi, please post questions of this nature in the Calculus & Beyond section, not the Precalculus section. If the question involves derivatives, it should NOT go in the Precalc section.

1. What is orthogonality in vector-valued functions?

Orthogonality in vector-valued functions refers to the relationship between two or more functions whose outputs are perpendicular to each other in a multi-dimensional space. This means that the functions are independent of each other and do not affect each other's outputs.

2. Why is it important to show orthogonality in vector-valued functions?

Showing orthogonality in vector-valued functions is important because it allows us to simplify and break down complex functions into smaller, independent components. It also helps in solving systems of equations and in understanding the behavior of functions in a multi-dimensional space.

3. How do you prove orthogonality of vector-valued functions?

To prove orthogonality of vector-valued functions, we need to show that the dot product of the functions' outputs is equal to zero. In other words, the functions' outputs are perpendicular to each other. This can be achieved by finding the dot product of the functions' derivatives and setting it equal to zero.

4. Can vector-valued functions be orthogonal even if they have different domains?

Yes, vector-valued functions can be orthogonal even if they have different domains. Orthogonality in vector-valued functions is based on the relationship between their outputs, not their inputs. As long as the dot product of their outputs is equal to zero, they can be considered orthogonal.

5. How is orthogonality of vector-valued functions used in real-world applications?

Orthogonality in vector-valued functions has many real-world applications, including computer graphics, signal processing, and physics. For example, in computer graphics, orthogonality is used to create 3D graphics by breaking down complex shapes into simpler, orthogonal components. In signal processing, it is used to filter out noise from a signal. In physics, it is used to analyze the motion of objects in multiple dimensions.