1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions dealing with the Second Law of Motion

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    I have a couple homework problems that are causing me some trouble...

1. The weight of 600g of salami is:
    a) 0.061 N
    b) 5.9 N
    c) 61 N
    d) 5.9 kN

I found the answer to be a) 0.061N because F=mg so m=F/g which is
    0.6kg/9.8m/sec.squared. The answer is actually b) 5.9 N but I can not figure out how the got this answer. Any insights to this?

Also...

2. A 60-kg person stands on a scale in an elevator. How many newtons does the scale read when a) it is ascending at the constant speed of 3.0 m/sec.squared? b) it is desending at the constant speed of 3.0 m/sec. squared?

I am not sure how to find this out. On one hand, I think that I need to find the acceleration at these speeds. Yet I do not think that there is any acceleration when the speed is constant. Am I sorta on the right track here?

Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2
    for 1 isnt w = mg which give you .6kg *9.8 = 5.88 founded up to 5.9
    for 2 what i think is this not sure if you have the answers to checkif it is correct f = ma f= 60 * 9.8 + and - 3 m/s just a guess not sure

4. Jun 4, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi there Mistaken and welcome to PF.

Well, you have definatly come to the right place.

I think you are getting a lttle confused here. Is 600g a force or a mass? Is weight a mass or a force?

Again, I think you getting a little confused here, you are not given any speeds; you are given accelerations, note the untis m.s-2. The scale in the lift actually measures the reaction force exerted by the lift on the perons. I think it would be helpful here if you drew a free body diagram. A good thread which previously described the mechanics is located here.

Think about summing the forces acting; [itex]\sum F = m\vec{a}[/itex].

~H

5. Jun 4, 2006 #4
    Thanks for the help with the first one. It make a lot more sense now. I actually wrote the wrong units down for the second problem. The elevator is ascending and desending at 3.0 m/s not 3.0 m/sec. squared. So is there any force occuring here? I don't think so because there's no change in the velocities which means there is no acceleration. Am I right?

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spot on, so does the person's weight change?

~H

7. Jun 4, 2006 #6
    No, I don't think so.Their weight in newtons would still be 588N (60kg * 9.8m/s. squared) since no other force is acting on their bodies except for the force due to gravity.

8. Jun 4, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spot on :smile:

9. Jun 4, 2006 #8
    Yes! Thanks for you help :)

10. Jun 4, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My pleasure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?