Newton's second law : circular motion

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the resultant force on a 60-kg driver of a car traveling along a vertical circle with a radius of 0.25 km at a constant speed of 30 m/s. The correct answer is 0.22 kN, not 0.8 kN as initially calculated by adding the gravitational and centripetal forces together. This is because the resultant force on an object moving in a perfect circle is always equal to the centripetal force, and the normal reaction will change depending on the position of the object on the track.
Muath Mushtaha

Homework Statement

A car travels along the perimeter of a vertical circle (radius = 0.25 km) at a constant speed of 30 m/s. What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the 60-kg driver of the car at the lowest point on this circular path?
Question options:
1) 0.37 kN
2) 0.80 kN
3) 0.22 kN
4) 0.59 kN
5) 0.45 kN

Homework Equations

F_gravity=mg
F_centripetal=m(a_centripetal)
a_centripetal = m (v^2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=mg + ma_centripetal = m (g + a_centripetal) = 60 kg (9.8 m/s^2 + (30m/s)^2/(250m)) = 804N = 0.8kN
but the answer I got was different from the answer i got with the question which is 0.22kN
can someone please explain how is it 0.22kN?

Physics news on Phys.org
Muath Mushtaha said:
What is the magnitude of the resultant force
They have asked the resultant force and not the normal reaction. What should be the "resultant" force in this case?

Perhaps you might want to reconsider why you are adding the centripetal and gravitational forces together? What is the relationship between centripetal force and resultant force?

cnh1995 said:
They have asked the resultant force and not the normal reaction. What should be the "resultant" force in this case?
"What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the 60-kg driver"
it asked about the force exerted on the driver, so by Newton's third law, the magnitude of the force exerted on the driver is equal to the magnitude of the force the driver exerts on the track (action reaction pair) which in this case will be the normal force plus centripetal force as the driver is at the lowest point.

please correct me if am wrong.

Muath Mushtaha said:
"What is the magnitude of the resultant force on the 60-kg driver"
it asked about the force exerted on the driver, so by Newton's third law, the magnitude of the force exerted on the driver is equal to the magnitude of the force the driver exerts on the track (action reaction pair) which in this case will be the normal force plus centripetal force as the driver is at the lowest point.

please correct me if am wrong.
To move in a perfect circle, the resultant force should always be equal to the centripetal force.

Fightfish said:
Perhaps you might want to reconsider why you are adding the centripetal and gravitational forces together? What is the relationship between centripetal force and resultant force?
I am adding because at the lowest point the gravitational and centripetal forces are in the same direction, therefore the resultant will be the addition of the two.

\
Muath Mushtaha said:
I am adding because at the lowest point the gravitational and centripetal forces are in the same direction,
How so? Centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circular path.

cnh1995 said:
\

How so? Centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circular path.
sorry about that my mistake, but should i subtract then? that did not give me a correct answer either.
in my calculation the answer is equal to the centripetal force only, so it doesn't matter where on the trak the object is, it will be the same answer?

Muath Mushtaha said:
sorry about that my mistake, but should i subtract then? that did not give me a correct answer either.
in my calculation the answer is equal to the centripetal force only, so it doesn't matter where on the trak the object is, it will be the same answer?
Resultant force will always be the same i.e. centripetal force. Normal reaction will change depending on the position of the object.

al
cnh1995 said:
Resultant force will always be the same i.e. centripetal force. Normal reaction will change depending on the position of the object.
alright, thanks for putting up with me :)

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This law is expressed as F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is its acceleration.

How does Newton's second law apply to circular motion?

In circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, which means there is a change in its acceleration. According to Newton's second law, this change in acceleration must be caused by a net force acting on the object. For example, in the case of a car making a turn, the force of friction between the tires and the road is what causes the car to change its direction and accelerate towards the center of the turn.

What are the key principles of circular motion according to Newton's second law?

The key principles of circular motion according to Newton's second law are:

• The net force acting on an object in circular motion is directed towards the center of the circle.
  • The magnitude of the net force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.
  • The direction of the net force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity. Centripetal force is a result of Newton's second law and is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion without flying off in a straight line.

How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are actually two different concepts. Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a result of an object's inertia, or tendency to continue moving in a straight line, while centripetal force is necessary to counteract this inertia and keep the object moving in a circle.