Questions on basic differential equations

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with their first differential equations homework, consisting of three questions. The first question involved an object being released from a height and determining its vertical velocity after a certain time. The second question asked for a solution to a differential equation with a specific form and satisfying a normalization condition. The third question asked for a differential equation giving the slope of the tangent line at a given point on a curve. The expert provided guidance and hints for each question, emphasizing the use of initial conditions and substitution to solve the problems.
danield
Well this is my first diff eqs homework and I am totally lost, i have no idea what to do here are teh questions that i have...

Homework Statement

1)An object released from a height h meters above the gorund with a veritcal velocity of Vo m/s htis teh ground after To seconds. Neglecting fricitonal forces set up and solve the inital value problem governing the motion and use your solution to show that...
Vo=(2h-gto^2)/(2To)

2) Determine a solution to the differential equation
(1-x^2)y'' - xy' +4y = 0
of the form Y(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x^2 satisfying the normalization condition y(1) = 1

3) Determine the differntial equaiton giving the slope of teh tangent line at teh point (x,y) for the given curve
x^2 + y^2 = 2cx

The Attempt at a Solution

1)on that one i got till the point where i have
1/2gt^2 + C1t+ c2 = y(t)

2) On this one i have no idea how to start maybe help on where to start will be enough...
3) on this one i also have no idea where to start...

im still working on other ones ill see if I am able to work them out

any help is appreciated
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
danield said:
Well this is my first diff eqs homework and I am totally lost, i have no idea what to do here are teh questions that i have...

Homework Statement

1)An object released from a height h meters above the gorund with a veritcal velocity of Vo m/s htis teh ground after To seconds. Neglecting fricitonal forces set up and solve the inital value problem governing the motion and use your solution to show that...
Vo=(2h-gto^2)/(2To)

2) Determine a solution to the differential equation
(1-x^2)y'' - xy' +4y = 0
of the form Y(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x^2 satisfying the normalization condition y(1) = 1

3) Determine the differntial equaiton giving the slope of teh tangent line at teh point (x,y) for the given curve
x^2 + y^2 = 2cx

The Attempt at a Solution

1)on that one i got till the point where i have
1/2gt^2 + C1t+ c2 = y(t)
Okay, you know that y(0)= (1/2)g(0^2)+ C1(0)+ C2= h (An object released from a height h meters above the ground) and that y'(0)= g(0)+ C1= V0 (with a vertical velocity of Vo) so you can determine C1 and C2 from those.

2) On this one i have no idea how to start maybe help on where to start will be enough...
Do it! You are asked for a solution of the form [itex]y= a_0+ a_1x+ a_2x^2[/itex] so [itex]y'= a_1+ 2a_2x[/itex] and [itex]y"= 2a_2[/itex]. Put those into the differential equation and solve for [itex]a_0[/itex], [itex]a_1[/itex], and [itex]a_2[/itex] by, for example, choosing three values for x to get three equations.

3) on this one i also have no idea where to start...
You have a "family" of curves given by [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2cx[/itex] and you want an equation involving y' and/or y" but not c. Now, you could just differentiate with respect to x twice and that would eliminate c: [itex]2x+ 2y y'= 2c[/itex] and then [itex]2+ 2(y')^2+ 2y y"= 0[/itex]. But since there is only one "c" you should be able to do this with just one differentiation. Differentiating once gives [itex]2x+ 2y y'= 2c[/itex] so [itex]c= x+ y y'[/itex]. Replace c in [itex]x^2+ y^2= 2cx[/itex] with that!

im still working on other ones ill see if I am able to work them out

any help is appreciated
thanks

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model relationships between variables that change continuously over time.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

The main difference between ODEs and PDEs is the number of independent variables involved. ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. This means that the solutions to PDEs are functions of more than one variable.

4. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They are used to model and study a wide range of phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and the movement of objects.

5. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations. For example, they are used in engineering to design and analyze systems, in economics to model market dynamics, and in epidemiology to study the spread of diseases. Differential equations are also used in many other fields, such as geology, meteorology, and neuroscience.