Questions on HCl and H2SO4 reactions

In summary, a 7th grade student is learning chemistry on their own, with the help of textbooks and experiments. They are having some difficulty with two reactions and need clarification. They found two solutions to these problems: one by researching online and one by using a very concentrated solution of CuSO4 and HCl.
The P-manator
I am learning, on my own, with the help of textbooks kindly given to me at Christmas by my grandfather and my own experimenting, some more advanced chemistry than what I studied in Grade Seven. Partly as preparation for High School, and partly for my own knowledge. However, I ran across some reactions that need clarifying.

Through frequent observation, I noticed that HCl likes to form chlorides. So is this equation correct?

CuSO4 + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H2SO4

Although I found it unlikely that it would form sulphuric acid, I could not find another spot to put the SO4, which I know cannot exist as a free compound.

The second puzzlement in my going-ons was that sulphuric acid usually reacts with metal carbonates to form sulphates, am I not correct? For example, they usually ended up something like this, right:

H2SO4 + CuCO3 --> CuSO4 + CO2 + H2O

Originally I found some weird ionic compound but then I realized that this broken down form would work better. However, until I do it, I have no way to prove that metal carbonates react in this way with sulphuric acid.

Physics news on Phys.org
i answered this on the other website for you

rctrackstar2007 said:
i answered this on the other website for you
as did I, although i forgot to say that you are taking the initiative to learn this on your own, especially as a 7th grader. High School chemistry is going to be so insanely easy for you if you keep this up.

syko sykes said:
High School chemistry is going to be so insanely easy for you if you keep this up.
And boring, not to mention agrivating.

In this reaction,
CuSO4 + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H2SO4
Yes, The Copper sulfate will form Copper Chloride, but since everything on the products is very soluble in water, it all stays in solution and there is no net ionic reaction.
You can tell a reaction occurs, kind of, by noticing a slight color change in the solution. The CuSO4 solution is very blue, as is dillute CuCl2 solutions, but if you do manage to get any CuCl2 to somewhat precipitate a little, you can see it turn green.
This reaction can be done "virtually" online at this web site,
http://neon.chem.ox.ac.uk/vrchemistry/LiveChem/transitionmetals_content.html
just select Cu+2 from the top reactant and concentrate HCl from the bottom reactant and hit the play button.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did they get it to turn so green? What's your name, rctrackstar?

The P-manator said:
How did they get it to turn so green?
I suspect they used extemely concentrated solutions of CuSO4 and HCl.

I did this reaction a while back by adding Sodium Chloride (NaCl) to a CuSO4 solution, as the NaCl dissolved, the solution around it turned green and then back to blue. After cooling the solution in a freezer (it did not freeze), I obtained a very small amount of green precipitate which easily went back into a blue solution by allowing the temperature to rise.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between HCl and H2SO4?

The chemical equation for the reaction between HCl and H2SO4 is HCl + H2SO4 → H2O + SO2 + Cl2.

2. What type of reaction occurs when HCl and H2SO4 are combined?

The reaction between HCl and H2SO4 is a double displacement reaction, also known as a metathesis reaction. This means that the two compounds switch partners to form new compounds.

3. What are the products of the reaction between HCl and H2SO4?

The products of the reaction between HCl and H2SO4 are water (H2O), sulfur dioxide (SO2), and chlorine gas (Cl2).

4. Is the reaction between HCl and H2SO4 exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between HCl and H2SO4 is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat as a product of the reaction. This can be observed by the increase in temperature during the reaction.

5. What are some common uses of HCl and H2SO4 in industry?

HCl and H2SO4 are commonly used in industry as strong acids for various purposes. HCl is used in the production of PVC, in the pickling of steel, and in the production of fertilizers. H2SO4 is used in the production of fertilizers, in the refining of petroleum, and in the production of batteries.