1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions physics majoring and math

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    I am a 14 year-old going in to highschool next year. I am extremely interested in science and math, and will be in Pre-calc next year and taking two science classes. I am planning on pursuing physics, and I understand most of the concepts presented to me in books and on the internet, but I do not understand the math. When I get in to higher order math,will it all become clear to me, or will I still have trouble? My concern is that the kind of math used in modern day physics can not simply be taught, and you have to be a prodigy to make progress in the field. Will it be possible for me to proceed in to college with some kind of physics as my major, or will I have to pursue a less demanding job?

Also, it is possible at my high school to take 2 math classes in one year, in succeeding semesters, and summer school is also an option.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

fss

You'll still have trouble.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    It can be taught. College level math classes are very different than high school level math classes. Although they can be taught, that doesn't mean you won't have to put in a lot of time studying them independently though.

But to make it in academia you need to both very intelligent and very disciplined, not to mention at least a bit lucky.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook