1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding properties

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    If there is a graph that has a discontinuity (e.g. at x = 3) and then the there is a point much lower than the limit at 3, is that point at 3 considered a local minimum? Also, if the graph starts w/ a discontinuity at its "highest point", does it have an absolute maximum?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm guessing you mean, in the first question, that the function would have been continuous at x if f(x) had been some value y, but the discontinuity is that it has a lower value than y. If so, yes, I would say that constitutes a local minimum.
    For the second question, I guess you mean, again, that the discontinuity consists of the function taking a lower value than the approach limit, and nowhere takes a value as high as the approach limit. If so, there is no absolute maximum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted