Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding relativistic momentum

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1

nos

Hi everyone,

I found a derivation for relativistic momentum on this page:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Special_Relativity/Dynamics

I understand it all the way through, except the point where they have come to this equation.

m[itex]_{red} = [/itex][itex]\frac{m_{blue}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{u(x,r)}{c})^{2}}}[/itex]

Where(as I understand correctly) mblue is the mass according to the frame moving at the same x-velocity as the blue ball and where mred is the mass of the red ball according to the frame moving with the same x-velocity as the blue ball.

Then they go to:

M =[itex]\frac{m_{0}}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{u}{c})^{2}}}[/itex]

Where u is now the relative velocity of the red ball for the moving frame.
    But that is what I don't understand. How can they suddenly ignore the relativistic effects of the y-velocities? The first equation gives the mass of red ball in terms of the relative x-velocity of the red ball. Then how do they get to relativistic mass in terms of the relative velocity u? Because ux,red is only the x component velocity and ured has both a x-component and y-component.

This is my hypothesis:

They let both uy,red and uy, blue approach zero. So that the mass of the blue ball will correspond to the rest mass and that the relativistic effects of the y-velocities will cancel.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook