1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Questions regarding this course.

1. May 22, 2012 #1
    Hi guys, I am going to be picking a college pretty soon. I am looking into this college course at the minute. I think its a double major (or so I guess from reading these forums).

Year 1 Semester 1
    PH4131 Mechanics/Heat/Elect/Mag
    PH4051 Meas. & Properties of Matter
    CE4701 Computer Software 1
    MS4021 Calculus 1
    MS4131 Linear Algebra 1
    Year 1 Semester 2
    PH4102 Waves/Light/Modern Physics
    PH4092 Semiconductor Devices
    MS4022 Calculus 2
    MS4212 Data Analysis
    MS4111 Discrete Mathematics

Year 2 Semester1
    PH4041 Optics
    PH4171 Mechanics
    MS4013 Linear Analysis
    MS4613 Vector Analysis
    MS4403 Ordinary Differential Equations
    Year 2 Semester 2
    PH4072 Electromagnetism
    PH4132 Modern Physics
    PH4042 Thermal Physics
    MS4014 Intro to Numerical Analysis
    MS4404 Partial Differential Equations

Year 3 Semester 1
    PH4061 Quantum Mechanics
    PH4021 Physics of Solids
    MA4607 Introduction to Applied Mathematical Modelling
    MS4025 Applied Analysis
    Elective from
    PH4161 Atomic/Molecular/Laser Physics
    MS4008 Numerical Solutions to PDEs
    MS4105 Linear Algebra 2
    MS4213 Probability Theory

Year 3 Semester 2
    Work placement in industry.

Year 4 Semester 1
    PH4607 Solid State Physics 1
    MS4627 Maths of Natural Phenomena
    MS4407 Asymptotic Analysis
    PHXXXX Project 1
    Elective from
    PH4081 Nanotechnology 1
    PH4091 Physics of Modern Measurement
    Year 4 Semester 2
    PH4608 Solid State Physics 2
    MS4018 Dynamical Systems
    MS4408 Mathematical Models
    MSXXXX Project 2
    Elective from
    PH4062 Nanotechnology 2
    PH4018 Medical Instrumentation

So My questions are
    Is Fourier Analysis included in the list under a different name or is it not done at all?
    Is it normal to have a lack of almost any Relativity or Particle Physics apart from the Introduction to modern physics module?
    Is this list much different to that which is covered in the states?
    If I want to attend graduate school in the states, will there be extra work involved to catch up on areas that are possibly lacking in this course?

I thank you for taking the time to read this and appreciate any response.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2012 #2
    Fourier Analysis may be covered explicitly in PDEs and indirectly in quantum or dynamical systems.

It is normal to have no particle physics, at all, including during modern physics. Generally, for a physics major here, a student will get a general exposure to special relativity in modern physics. And then may get more exposure during upper division E&M and often times in classical mechanics too. Im sure it is not uncommon to only see it in modern physics though.

That list may or may not be different than what we do here (ok it is somewhat different inherently). For pure physics, that is quite a bit different. If you are doing nanoengineering, its more comparable.

For physics, you might need more electromagnetism, quantum and stat mech. Quantum is iffy - it's not clear how much quantum would be covered in the other courses. For example, atomic/molecular/laser physics could be a great opportunity to cover a lot of time-dependent quantum mechanics.

I can't say whether you could get into grad school with that, its not my place given where I am at but I hope what I said helps some.

4. May 23, 2012 #3
    Cool thanks for the reply!

Just curious how is it different? It may be difficult to say because the module titles are quite vague and I can't find out what the details of the syllabus of each module.

Yeah, the reason nano tech is in there is because the course is rather applied in nature.

5. May 23, 2012 #4
    *As stated above by Jorris, you'll be doing stuff with fourier analysis in both PDE classes in the list:

MS4404 Partial Differential Equations

There may be some exposure to it in:
    MA4607 Introduction to Applied Mathematical Modelling
    MS4627 Maths of Natural Phenomena
    MS4408 Mathematical Models

but who knows what those will specifically cover.

*I think you'll be fine with the exposure you get to relativity and particle physics via pretty much all of those physics courses year 2 semester 2 and onward.

*This is different than what is covered in the U.S. but not by much. Most U.S. institutions require many more "general education" courses like English, History, Art, foreign languages, etc... which you probably satisfied during primary school.

As a result, MOST (although certainly not all) physics majors in the U.S. would probably not take courses like:

PH4092 Semiconductor Devices
    MS4212 Data Analysis
    MS4111 Discrete Mathematics
    MS4025 Applied Analysis
    Work placement in industry.
    MS4407 Asymptotic Analysis

These would more than likely be replaced by a few Spanish courses, or Art History, or English Composition, Chemistry, and stuff like that in order to satisfy breadth requirements placed by the university to earn the degree.

*I see nothing really lacking with this assuming you wanted to come to the U.S. for graduate school after you were done with this program. Some U.S. physics students may have taken second (graduate level) courses in: E&M, QM, statistical mechanics, or classical mechanics during their senior year as electives, which might prepare them a little better for first year graduate school curriculum. Assuming you wanted to continue on with work on solid state physics and condensed matter, you'd be starting a little ahead of most U.S. physics majors and you'd probably have no trouble with the first year graduate curriculum anyway.

Good luck, I assume you're just starting out with this, so who knows, you may change your mind if you really like doing industry work when you get to those semesters. It's a long road and who knows what might change while you're traveling it.

6. May 23, 2012 #5
    Hi bpatrick!

Thanks so much for the extremely helpful response!

Yeah I would like the option of doing some graduate level stuff but oh well! And as you said, I may love industry yet. I just don't know! But I start off in September.

Any one else have any other opinions regarding the course. All comments would be very much appreciated!!!

7. May 23, 2012 #6
    I would like to say that I really like your username. :wink:

8. May 24, 2012 #7
    LOL, I thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook