[Quick] At what capacitance will the current in the resistor be a maximum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a series RLC circuit connected to a 6.70 kHz source where the inductor and resistor are fixed and the capacitor is variable. The question is at what capacitance will the current in the resistor be at a maximum. The solution involves using the equation Xl = Xc to find the capacitance at resonance.
Sean1218

Homework Statement

A series RLC circuit is connected across a 6.70 kHz source. The 1.50 H inductor and the 1.35×103 kohm resistor are fixed whereas the capacitor is variable. At what capacitance will the current in the resistor be a maximum?

Homework Equations

No idea..

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any equations that will let me solve for capacitance in this situation. I know that current is maximum (resistance minimum) at resonance when Xl=Xc, and phi=0.

edit: nevermind, didn't think to just use Xl=Xc to solve for C...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current will be maximum at resonance. Do you know the relationship between Xl and Xc at resonance?

1. What is capacitance and how does it affect current in a resistor?

Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store electrical energy. It is measured in farads (F) and affects the flow of current in a resistor by controlling the rate at which the capacitor is charged and discharged.

2. How does the capacitance value impact the maximum current in a resistor?

The higher the capacitance value, the longer it takes for the capacitor to charge and discharge. This results in a lower maximum current in the resistor as it takes longer for the capacitor to reach its full charge and discharge potential.

3. Is there a specific capacitance value that will always result in the maximum current in a resistor?

No, the capacitance value alone does not determine the maximum current in a resistor. Other factors such as the voltage and resistance of the circuit also play a role in determining the maximum current.

4. Can the maximum current in a resistor be calculated using the capacitance value?

Yes, the maximum current in a resistor can be calculated using the capacitance value, along with the voltage and resistance of the circuit, using the formula I=V/R. However, this only provides an estimate and actual values may vary due to other factors such as internal resistance of the components.

5. How can I increase the maximum current in a resistor using capacitance?

The maximum current in a resistor can be increased by using a larger capacitance value, increasing the voltage in the circuit, or decreasing the resistance in the circuit. However, it is important to ensure that the circuit is not overloaded and can handle the increased current.