Quick cal question (probably simple

• Thread starter r6mikey
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of a solid with a base bounded by the functions y=x^2 and y=x, and cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis being squares. To solve this, we need to take the integral of the area function A(x) from 0 to 1, where A(x)=side^2dx. The value for side can be found by subtracting the functions y=x and y=x^2, giving us a distance of x-x^2. This value can then be used to evaluate the integral from 0 to 1 and find the volume of the solid.
r6mikey

Homework Statement

The base of a soild is the region bounded by y=x^2 and y=x. Find the volume if cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are squares

Homework Equations

Integral of A(x)dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I have to take the integral from 0 to 1 after solving for X

since it is a square, the setup is side^2dx... For some reason i cannot figure out the value used for side using 2 functions...

I believe it should be something similar to 2(side)^2dx evaluating from 0 to 1, but what is the value for side and how was it found?

Physics news on Phys.org
y=x^2 is below y=x between x=0 and x=1. So isn't 'side' x-x^2, the distance between them??

1. What is a "Quick cal question"?

A "Quick cal question" is a commonly used term for a simple or easy question related to calculations or mathematics.

2. How do I solve a "Quick cal question"?

The easiest way to solve a "Quick cal question" is to break it down into smaller, easier steps and use basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. Can you give an example of a "Quick cal question"?

One example of a "Quick cal question" could be: What is the sum of 5 and 10?

4. Do I need any special tools or equipment to answer a "Quick cal question"?

No, you do not need any special tools or equipment. A pen and paper or a calculator can be helpful, but most "Quick cal questions" can be solved using mental math.

5. Are "Quick cal questions" only related to basic math?

No, "Quick cal questions" can also involve more advanced mathematical concepts such as algebra, geometry, and calculus. However, they are typically simpler and easier to solve compared to more complex problems.