Quick Check for Relativity HW, rocket passing by space station

In summary: But in S, the whole ship is moving, so it is length contracted by a factor of γ. Therefore, the length of the ship A sees in S is γl0 and the time it takes to pass from the front to the back is γl0/v. Therefore, in S, the time it takes for B to cross path with A is γl0/v, which is consistent with the Lorentz Transform equation for t'. In summary, the proper length in S' is l0 and in S it is γl0 due to length contraction. This explains why t' = l0/v when B' crosses A.
PhDeezNutz
Homework Statement
Part (C), The book contends ##\gamma## should be in the denominator where as I think it should be in the numerator$$
Relevant Equations
The Lorentz Transform (see below)
Image 4-26-20 at 4.27 PM.jpg

Image 4-26-20 at 4.27 PM (1).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
PhDeezNutz said:
1587937508507.png
Check this.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
Check this.

Alright, I think I got it and it doesn't make the least bit of sense but here we go. I want to practice using Lorentz Transforms instead of time dilation and length contraction formulas.

Event 1: is when ##A'## crosses ##A##. The coordinates for these in the station frame and ship frame are ##S_1 = \left( 0,0\right)## and ##S'_1 = \left(0,0\right)## respectively.

Event 2: is when ##B'## crosses ##A##. The coordinates for these in the station frame and ship frame are ##S_2 = \left( 0,t_2\right)## and ##S'_2 = \left(-\gamma v t_2,\gamma t_2\right)## respectively where ##S'_2## is found by Lorentz Transforming ##S_2## according to

##x' = \gamma x - \gamma v t##

##t' = - \frac{\gamma v}{c^2} + \gamma t##

But ##\gamma t_2 = \frac{l_0}{v}##. So, therefore ##t_2 = \frac{l_0}{\gamma v}##.

I actually think this is wrong since I made the same mistake that you warned me about but I somehow got the right answer. I can't physically reconcile the last step, all I know is that it gets me the right answer.

It should be easy to write down the space and time coordinates for the second event in the primed frame. They are easily expressed in terms of ##l_0## and ##v##. In your first post, you have the correct expression for the time coordinate of this event in the primed frame. But, you mistakenly wrote the space coordinate as ##0##. What is the space coordinate of the tail of the ship in the primed frame (at any time)?

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
It should be easy to write down the space and time coordinates for the second event in the primed frame. They are easily expressed in terms of ##l_0## and ##v##. In your first post, you have the correct expression for the time coordinate of this event in the primed frame. But, you mistakenly wrote the space coordinate as ##0##. What is the space coordinate of the tail of the ship in the primed frame (at any time)?

##- l_0##? I say minus because in my mind it's to the left of the origin of ##S'##.

PhDeezNutz said:
##- l_0##? I say minus because in my mind it's to the left of the origin of ##S'##.
Yes.

Likes PhDeezNutz
TSny said:
Yes.

I'm afraid I don't follow when I take the event ##S'_{B'\:crosses\:A} = \left( -l_0, \frac{l_0}{v}\right)## and transform it to ##S## I get ##S_{B'\:crosses\:A} = \left( -\gamma l_0 - \gamma l_0, -\frac{\gamma v}{c^2}\left( \frac{l_0}{v}\right) + \frac{\gamma l_0}{v}\right) = \left( 0, \frac{\gamma v}{c^2}\left( \frac{l_0}{v}\right) + \frac{\gamma l_0}{v} \right) ##, but the time coordinate of this event in ##S## isn't ##\frac{l_0}{\gamma v} ## (The answer that the book gets).

I'm going to continue to work on this problem throughout the day. I need to think more about what is actually happening instead of just plugging and chugging imo anyway.

Alright I think I got it by really slowing down to think about it. There's still one part I haven't reconciled with intuition. Namely ##t' = \frac{l_0}{v}## when ##B'## crosses ##A## because it almost looks classical; ##v## is the speed of ##B'## in ##S## and ##l_0## is proper length. Don't quite get it. I'll think about it some more.Now for the solution handled as generally as possible.

Start with equations.

(x′t′)=(γ−γv−γvc2γ)(xt)(x′t′)=(γ−γv−γvc2γ)(xt)

(xt)=(γγvγvc2γ)(x′t′)(xt)=(γγvγvc2γ)(x′t′)​
1) Observer at ##A'## is adamant that the position of ##B'## is ##-l_0## so we have ##S'_{B'} = \left( - l_0, t' \right)##

2) Observer at ##A## is adamant that the velocity of ##B'## is ##(+v)## but its position isn't ##-l_0##. Let's call the position of ##B'## in ##S##; ##l_s## so it has coordinates ##S_{B'} = \left( -l_s + vt, t \right)##.

(ls+vtt)=(γγvγvc2γ)(−l0t)(ls+vtt)=(γγvγvc2γ)(−l0t)​
##B'## crosses ##A## when ##-l_s + vt = 0 \Rightarrow t = \frac{l_s}{v}##

(0lsv)=(γγvγvc2γ)(−l0t)(0lsv)=(γγvγvc2γ)(−l0t)​
We need to solve for ##l_s##

−γl0+γvt′=0⇒t′=l0v−γl0+γvt′=0⇒t′=l0v​
The above part is kind of surprising for aforementioned reasons

lsv=−γvc2l0+γl0vlsv=−γvc2l0+γl0v

lsv=γl0(−vc2+1v)lsv=γl0(−vc2+1v)

ls=γl0(−vc2+1)ls=γl0(−vc2+1)​
$$l_s = \gamma l_0 \left( 1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2} \right) = \gamma \left( \frac{1}{\gamma^2 \right) l_0 = \frac{l_0}{\gamma}$$

As mentioned earlier ##t = \frac{ls}{v}## so we have

t2=l0γvt2=l0γv​
Well apparently my LaTeX got messed up.

0152E6DC-A218-4002-8730-12E5CA67588D.jpeg

28FC9606-4A06-4162-907A-7D8AB3C660F6.jpeg

PhDeezNutz said:
There's still one part I haven't reconciled with intuition. Namely ##t' = \frac{l_0}{v}## when ##B'## crosses ##A## because it almost looks classical; ##v## is the speed of ##B'## in ##S## and ##l_0## is proper length. Don't quite get it.
From S' viewpoint, the point A (in S) moves to the left with speed v and the distance A must travel to get from the front to the back of the ship is the length of the ship in S'.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. How does the theory of relativity apply to a rocket passing by a space station?

The theory of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the rocket passing by the space station will experience the same physical laws as the space station, even though they are moving at different speeds.

2. What is the "time dilation" effect in relativity?

Time dilation is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. In the case of a rocket passing by a space station, time will appear to pass slower for the rocket compared to the space station due to their different velocities.

3. How does the speed of the rocket affect the time dilation effect?

According to the theory of relativity, the time dilation effect increases as the speed of the rocket increases. This means that the faster the rocket is moving, the slower time will appear to pass for the rocket compared to the space station.

4. Can the time dilation effect be observed in real life?

Yes, the time dilation effect has been observed in experiments and is also taken into account in the operation of GPS satellites. The satellites orbiting the Earth at high speeds experience time dilation, which must be corrected for in order for the GPS system to function accurately.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of time and space. It has shown that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It has also led to the development of important concepts such as time dilation and the curvature of space-time, which have been confirmed through various experiments and observations.