Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick conceptual question about disconnecting battery!

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    If there is a parallel plate capacitor, connected to a battery, which is then disconnected, there is NO voltage now, but "Q" (charge) on the capacitor remains the same. YES OR NO? I think yes.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What is your reasoning?

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Well basically I'm thinking that a capacitor stores charges (or energy) so, onces its all charged up by a battery, I don't see how it could lose those charges...even when the battery is disconnected. (immediately anyways, it wouldn't be all gone I don't think) Why I was thinking about this was because if the battery is now disconnected, and you wanted to calculate the work needed to insert a dielectric, fitting perfectly between the 2 plates, since there is no voltage, I don't see how you could calculate the work unless you used the original charge of the capacitor (without dielectric). (By means of E=Q^2/2C) So in order to use the original charge of the capacitor, I figured charge has to stay in the capacitor even if the battery is disconnected.

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Okay, your reasoning is pretty good. Note that the charged capacitor will maintain a voltage (potential difference) according to Q = C*V, even without an external voltage source applied. Of course, if the capacitance changes (due, say, to the insertion of a dielectric) the voltage will change accordingly if the charges have nowhere to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?