Converting Velocity to RPM: Solving for Tension in a String

• Thread starter mugzieee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the conversion of degrees to revolutions per minute (rpm) and the problem-solving process for finding the angular velocity of a conical pendulum. The conversation also addresses the use of random functions and the importance of understanding the thought process behind problem-solving.
mugzieee
how would i convert 23 degrees to revolutions per minute

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how long it took you to traverse that 23 degrees, I believe...

Rev's per minute is HERTZ times 60 in SI...Arch degrees is unitless.

Daniel.

A conical pendulum is formed by attaching a 0.100kg ball to a 1.00m-long string, then allowing the mass to move in a horizontal circle of radius 40.0cm.
What is the ball's angular velocity, in rpm?
from using sin, i obtained 23.57 degress. I am not sure how i would convert that to rpm

mugzieee,

You appear in this thread and others to be just blindly applying random functions like sin to all the numbers given in your problems, perhaps hoping to accidentally stumble across the right answer.

This is not a good method of solving problems.

Instead of telling us that you used the sine function, why don't you tell us what led you to want to use the sine in the first place? What is your thought process? How are you attempting to solve this problem?

- Warren

You have an angle.However,the angular velocity is found by drawing forces and writing the second law.

Daniel.

ok. the first part of the problem asked me to find the tension in the string. to do that i used Newtons second law where Tcos(theta)=mg
to find theta, i looksed at the picture, and since the radius(opposite side of the angle) and the hypotenuse were given, i applied sin, which was sin(theta)=r/l, which ledt to arcsin(.4/1) and i got theta to equal approximately 23 degrees. now for the second part of the problem, so far i could only think of finding the vlocity by the equation v=(omega)*(r), but then I am not sure how i would be able to convert velocity into rpm.

Related to Converting Velocity to RPM: Solving for Tension in a String

1. What is the formula for converting degrees to RPM?

The formula for converting degrees to RPM (revolutions per minute) is:

RPM = (degrees * 60) / 360

2. Why do we need to convert degrees to RPM?

RPM is a common unit of measurement used to describe the rotational speed of an object. Converting degrees to RPM allows us to quantify the speed of rotation in a more practical and universal manner.

3. How do I convert from degrees per second to RPM?

To convert from degrees per second to RPM, you can use the following formula:

RPM = (degrees per second * 60) / 360

4. Can you provide an example of converting 23 degrees to RPM?

Yes, if an object is rotating at a speed of 23 degrees per second, the corresponding RPM would be:

RPM = (23 * 60) / 360 = 3.83 RPM

5. Is converting degrees to RPM applicable to all types of rotational motion?

Yes, converting degrees to RPM is applicable to all types of rotational motion, including linear motion that can be converted to rotational motion. However, it may not be the most accurate measurement for certain types of motion, such as non-uniform circular motion.