Calculating Rotational Inertia: Hoops vs. Solid Cylinders

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy stored in a disc using the formula 1/2(I)(ω^2). There is confusion about the moment of inertia of a disc and whether to convert revolutions per minute to radians per second. The correct conversion should be made and the resulting answer should be in Joules, not Joules per second. There is also a discussion about the reasonableness of the answer obtained.
goonking

Homework Statement

Cd9E26L.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume the energy stored is = 1/2 (I) (ω^2)

I (moment of inertia) is MR^2 since it's a hoop? or is it a solid cylinder?

do we need to convert the rpm (revolutions per minute) to radians per sec?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, just realize that a disc is a cylinder with vanishing height.

Otherwise yeah, try it out and report back on what you end up with. It'll be important to do a sanity check on the answer that you get - that'll tell you whether you got the right answer or not most of the time.

MaxwellsCat said:
You're on the right track, just realize that a disc is a cylinder with vanishing height.

No, that's a thin disk. A disk is a solid cylinder.

goonking said:
do we need to convert the rpm (revolutions per minute) to radians per sec?

As you defined it, ω is angular velocity, which is typically measured in radians per second.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have been explicit - I meant a solid cylinder.

after doing all the math, answer came out to be 1.4 x 10^6 Js.

So right away there's something wrong - the units should be J not J##\cdot##s, unless you meant Joules :P

Does that answer make sense? In the context of the problem, does that seem reasonable?

MaxwellsCat said:
So right away there's something wrong - the units should be J not J##\cdot##s, unless you meant Joules :P

Does that answer make sense? In the context of the problem, does that seem reasonable?
yes, i meant joules.

goonking said:
after doing all the math, answer came out to be 1.4 x 10^6 Js.
Seems too low. Check your conversion from revolutions to radians.

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass distribution of the object and the axis of rotation.

How is rotational inertia calculated?

The formula for rotational inertia is I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. It can also be calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or by using a parallel axis theorem for objects with non-uniform mass distribution.

What factors affect rotational inertia?

The main factors that affect rotational inertia are the mass of the object and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. The shape and distribution of the mass can also have an impact on the rotational inertia.

What is the difference between rotational inertia and moment of inertia?

Rotational inertia and moment of inertia are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Rotational inertia refers specifically to an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, while moment of inertia can also refer to an object's resistance to linear motion.

How does rotational inertia relate to rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational inertia is directly related to an object's rotational kinetic energy. The greater the rotational inertia, the more energy is required to change the object's rotational motion. This is why objects with larger rotational inertia, such as a spinning top, tend to have a more stable and consistent motion.